Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Lead by Example

Instructors are role models that should lead by example. As an instructor you should display a sense of time management by starting class on time and ending on time. An instructors attitude should inspire and motivate students.

The hardest thing for me to learn was leave hom at home... Being a teacher taught me how to do that. The students needed me to be mentally present. In turn I was able to be on time deal with all situations and teach soft skills.

I have been teaching for a long time and It has become second nature for me to leave all my personal issues at home, I try to pass this on to the students.

David,
I agree, the instructor is the instructional and emotional leader.
Philip Campbell

Jennifer,
As instructors it is hard to do that, and sometimes we have to look to our students to see that example. Every now and then they also need to be reminded.
Philip Campbell

I could not agree more. As instructors we must leave our personal problems at home but also we must manage our reactions/responses to changes. Teaching is an ever-evolving career and we must be sure to not let our insecurities about future change affect classroom morale.
It is imperative each instructor has an ability to self reflect and manage their responses and reactions to change. Our students take their cues from us and if we are openly frustrated with change then our students will respond the same way.

I have always checked my personal baggage at the classroom door but even when you do your students, well some of them are receptive to the mood change in the class. My wife recently was hospitalized for a month and without saying they knew good days from bad days.

Robert,
Good for you. It is hard for people to be able to do this at times.
Philip Campbell

I agree with your statement about instructors starting and ending class on time. I think this shows we value the subject matter we are teaching.

This is so true, I beleive in treating others the way I desire to be treated. As an Instructor I do know I am a role model and I do all I can to be an excellent example

Sign In to comment