Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Was anyone else shocked by the percentages?

I was really surprised to see that the study resulted in 15% importance of Tech skills versus 85% for Soft skills.

It makes sense, I suppose, when I stopped to think about it, but that number was a real eye opener.

I've always sort of felt that soft skills were important for teachers, as we deal with people on a constant basis. It was really refreshing to see that those skills are appreciated in other industries as well! Very enlightening!

Michael,
Glad you enjoyed the facts and the course. Sometimes we need a slap in the face to realize things.
Philip Campbell

I was surprised by the numbers. I expected a 50/50. As we move towards a more technology driven society (cell phones, computers), I feel we are losing our common sense to work with others.

Kathy,
I think that it is easy to see how we could get more detached. So the next question is how do we take this and use it to our benefit? It does not necessarily mean it will make it worse.
Philip Campbell

I also expected the numbers to be more even because the first criteria for an instructor is to be able to teach the technical material. I believe the soft skills become developed as the instructor spends more time in the classroom with students.

Not shocked, surprised a little, however, I remember that a supervisor at an internship site told me that he would rather have a employee with a C average and successful work experience and participation in school activities than a employee who made A's in school but had no other activities to show. The ability to be a team player is one of the most important in the workplace, if the employer wants to get the job done.

There is an old adage: "children don't care how much you know until they know how much you care" After almost 20 years in instructional roles, I know this is true. It is more about creating and managing healthy, appropriate relationships with participants in your classroom (or with co-workers).

Yes. However, if examine it, it turns out to be true.

No, not at all. That was was percentage I picked during the presentation because I feel that hard skills are "learned", i.e. math, reading, learning a new computer program. While soft skills tend to be more innate for some or, maybe, a result of a person's upbringing. Though, of course, if they don't come naturally, they, too, can be learned.

An example of this is my husband. He retired from the Air Force as a master sergeant after working on jet engines for 20 years. Shortly after he retired he was hired as a supervisor for a glass manufacturer and quickly moved up to the manager of his division. He wasn't hired because he knew the hard skills of making glass, those he learned on the job, but instead for his people skills and soft skill.

Even in a techinicial institute, I was surprized how effective soft skills were, The lesson really gave some new light for my teaching skills. I will bring new thoughts and ideas into my next lessons.

John,
Glad it made you think. I think oat are shocked in the beginning and when they process the information it begins to make sense.
Philip Campbell

Billy,
Good for you. I hope that the lessons learned will help you in the classroom.
Philip Campbell

I feel the same way. Computer and todays technologies are making people skills and interactions less important.

Sign In to comment