Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Incorporating Ethics teaching with computer skills education.

Ethics should be taught as a critical and integral component of computer skills. Comparing this with the option of teaching ethics separately leaves the door open for students to disconnect or not associate the importance of ethics in the learning they are currently engaged in unless it is injected into the curriculum. Presenting ethics as necessary and in fact re-iterating that ethics and business go hand in hand prepares the student for greater success in the work force. It also allows them to recognize unethical practices that they might encounter as well once they enter the workforce. Ethical practices are… >>>

Importance of Writing

I agree that writing is a skill that needs polished and nurtured throughout ones profession. I am challenged by the issue of plagiarizing on occasion and always find this disappointing and awkward to address. I appreciate the sequence of a writing assignment in regards to offering the student support.

TECHNOLOGY IN THE CLASSROOM

Professionalism in the classroom or workplace demands knowledge of computers and soft, as well as hard professional skills; however, can technology be utilized more in the classroom in smaller devices, such as: cell phones, iPads, etc.? Since it is problematic to control these devices, is there any way we can incorporate their usage into the curriculums in order to create more savvy students, and, to offer them not only a venue for use, but also to present a boundary for when they would not be used in a classroom scenarios?

Common sense.

. My biggest problem that I can't get over is when things suddenly change in the work place. Like syllabi’s. I know things change, but I put my head all in for the plan I was going to do, and communicated it the day or two days before and then things change the day of without communicating it to me. It is just like saying we are going to a certain restaurant and then on the way it suddenly changes to a different restaurant. I bugs me and then I go into the classroom changing it up to the students… >>>

Top Ten Soft Skills - are there any new ones on the list?

My notes from the course listed the top ten from a 1997 study. I think these are solid and stand the test of time. But 17 years later, with social media and other technological advances are these still the top ten or are there other more important soft skills? Here's the list from the course: - Attention to detail - Being drug free - Conflict resolution - Helping to enhance services - Dependability / Team Player - Effective workplace relationships - Integrity - Positive attitude - Understanding and respecting others - Common sense

Critical thinking

I find that our new generation of students demonstrate very poor critical thinking, and that common sense is no longer common!! As a teacher, it's challenging to develop such a "critical skill" over such a short period of time. Parents are the first teachers of our future professionals. They are accountable for stimulating and developing the way their offspring think and create from a very young age. But, I love what I do, and with all the different methods discussed in this course, I try my best to teach them the importance of improving their "soft skills", such as critical… >>>

Learning

Students do not need have in depth tech skills of current tech devices: Ipads, laptops, but students should be able to put them all in drive. Just like a car. Most operators do not know whst mskes the automatic transmission work but they know how to get in drive and then it does all the functions..

Literacy

I think teaching a person to read is of utmost improtance, not only reading but writing to all or most levels of comprehension is extremely important. From this starting point one can see the "light bulbs" popping on.

teaching computers

i am computer illiterate and i would like to know more about the computer. there should be teaching on the job, instead of not hiring someone with experience

Thoughts on incorporating essay assignments into technical course

I teach a Revit course and was thinking about having the students answer a few essay questions aimed at them demonstrating the value of Revit and BIM software in general in today's work place. Do you think this would be an effective assignment or would it be preferable to stick to assignments that require the students to demonstrate knowledge of how to use the design program?

emotional intelligence

When you are working on your softs skills with different students you have be aware that everyone is on a different level of comprehension and understanding.

Putting a group presentation together

In every class I teach, whether it be for the technical school or the university, I incorporate group presentations. If the class is big enough, the groups will be split into two, having two group leaders coordinate the presentation. I teach allied health professionals and nurses so I stress the importance of being able to work as a team. Before they split into their respective groups, they are given a very detailed rubrik. The final grade is broken down into the following: the team's evaluation of the individual group member, audience feedback from the other team, and the instructor's evaluation.… >>>

becoming a long life learner

it is very important that we encourage our students to keep learning

Teaching students to write

Since they quit teaching cursive writing in the schools,most of our younger students can not even print legibly. Writing is something imperitive for our students, they must make notes on repair orders legibly,they must sign off repair orders and they should take notes when trying to diagnose complicated repairs. Not being able to print or write legibly is an insurmountable problem in a technical field. We now have to do basic english and math skills as a part of normal class work.We teach and grade them on their paper work as well as technical prowess. They must be able to… >>>

How come some teachers/instructors do not have EQ?

I would think that the fact of the label...TEACHER or INSTRUCTOR one would know the right thing to do. I mean afterall we are working with, relating to others...students...who look to us for guidance while learning. I think in my gut that all teachers should know that once they enter the EDUCATIONAL ENVIRONMENT...all of the baggage is left on the curb...we can,however pick it up, once we leave. (smile)

EQ issues in the 21st century...BIG issue indeed.

So very relevant in today's society in the USA...I find that my students often arrive to class with various issues. The issues can be their car not running, misunderstanding in relationships or even babysitting care. I approach them with a little quote (Anticipate the Good... or something from a famous person...like Henry Ford who said...Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't...you're RIGHT. I stress to them that they CAN...to never give up or give in. After that...they usually settle in and do the work required. Often them approach me after class with a smile or words… >>>

hard skills vs softskills

TECHNICAL SKILLS ARE IMPORTANT BUT SOFTSKILL CAN HELP YOU BECOME A MORE EFFECTIVE INSTRUCTOR

Being a good listener

Being a good listener is the key to all skills.

Most important soft skill in the workplace

I've found the most important soft skill in the workplace today is listening. Many times we struggle to get out our ideas to others similar as others are trying to get their ideas out to us. Everyone is speaking, but no one is listening to each other. I've found good listeners typically repeat what others are telling them prior to responding. One of Steven Covey's 7-Habits of Effective People (5th Habit) was to "seek first to understand, then to be understood".

emotional intelligence

Developing a emotional intelligence in work place is very effective and manageable specially with yu co-workers.