Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

teaching by way of computers

Sometimes this task can be easy but sometimes it becomes a real challenge to do. Some students do well with it while others tend to struggle.

I agree with you Robyn. I notice that many of the students I teach are split when it comes to utilizing a computer. Additionally, I find that most communicate that their kids know how to use smart phones and computers but they are unsure of how to go about using either. I find that once you explain the assignment or task, modeling the appropriate steps, and walking around to answer any questions helps promote student success. Also, providing positive reinforcement when they achieve success at any task or step helps to promote the students use of technology.

robyn,
To those students who do not like the computer, do you have a list of resources to help them become more comfortable?

Shelly Crider

The situation I run into is not the refusal of using a computer but the issues of using the computer while reviewing a topic. During my lectures I find having the students pull together in a group and away from there computers more effective then having them follow along.

Christopher,
ahhhhh this is an interesting thought.....what do others have to say???

Shelly Crider

I have also encountered this issue within my curriculum in English Composition. Many of my students have had very little experience with word processors. Spell check, grammar check and other worthwhile tools are completely foreign to them. I have found ways to incorporate lessons with these by doing live, in-class writing via a projector, and as I am writing along with the students, I'll allow for certain spelling and grammatical errors to arise. As we read over it, I show them how, (and I usually use Google docs because most of my students don't have continual access to Microsoft Word) to see, define and revise the underlined issues.

As for phones, there are some great applications that are free and useful to keep students engaged without forcibly removing their phones from their hands. Quizlet is one particularly helpful app that has students do grammar and vocabulary quizzes using their phones to populate answers that are then shown on the screen in class. Phones and classrooms can work well together if the students are engaged in that way.

Caitlin,
Nice resource listed.....Quizlet....everyone needs to jot this one down!

Shelly Crider

I teach polysomnography and the for the job they are training for, the student will be collecting patient data digitally. Part of the class work involves learning how to manipulate the data and use the computer to collect data. I demonstrate in class and also give out of class assignments requiring the students to use the equipment.

I teach respiratory therapy. My students have to be able to manipulate computer data via electronic medical records and they must be able to chart via computer. Computer skills are essential for my students.

Helen,
Nice work. The need to explain how technology might change would be good to review as well.

Shelly Crider

Laura,
There are several EMR programs out there, but knowing what to look for will help students go from one to another.

Shelly Crider

By having them pull together it enhances the thought process. There is TOO much using computers and calculators. These things while being useful take away from the individual thought process and impairs the individual from being able to develop critical thinking skills.

Steven,
Critical thinking skills do need to be on technology and without technology as not everyone in the country uses technology. Good job.

Shelly Crider

Sign In to comment