Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Wide range of learning experience and success?

In a vocational school I am responsible for the very first class and new student takes. Fortunately everyone in the course is interested in the subject matter. The challenge is this. There is such a wide range of learning compentency. I've got students that may have at least some college education and did very well. I have others that struggled to graduate from high school.
1) What are some good strategies to make sure all the students are appropriately challenged?
2) What are some strategies to help those students that have a strong interest in the subject but have never really learned to study?

Hi Stewart,
First question--dealing with engaging all students in the learning process. What I have done over the years is to select some starter activities that gets the students involved but are not based on academi skill. These activities involve group work, team competition, etc. The point is it allows me to get to know the students, the students don't feel threaten, and they get to learn some very basic information about their choosen field. Then I build on that foundation as the course progresses.
Second question--Helping students with academic and study needs. There are a number of different types of supports you can develop for your students that will help those that don't know how to take notes, study, etc. For example, guided notes. Guided notes are outlines of your lectures or domonstrations with parts of the content filled in and stars beside the really important information. The students then can fill in the blanks and see the starred information when they are studying for exams. I have written an article on these supports that was published in the Career
Education Review. I will be glad to send it to you if you think it would be of help.
Gary

Thanks for you reply and yes I would love to see your article.
stew@hartys.com

Stew

Thanks for you reply and yes I would love to see your article.
stew@hartys.com

Stew

Dr. Meers...

I too would like to read your article. Please forward to eweldon@fastresponse.org.

Thanks!!

~Erich

Dr Meers,

I am very interested in a copy of your article as well. Any additional information to help those students who really do not know how to study would be most helpful. I do lecture and demonstrate the parts that contain the pertinent information,however it would be great to see what else could be used to help them gain the confidence. Some students just do not know how to study.

Hi Linda,
I am sending you a copy of one of my latest articles on how students process information and instructional supports you provide them to help with their learning.
Gary

Sign In to comment