Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Electronic Materials

I'm in a dilemma about the use of electronic material vs traditional hard copy versions in our courses.

As an IT school, we tend to use mini-lectures and lots of hands on computer time to re-enforce the topics covered in those lectures. Books are rarely used during the actual class time, and support materials are used occasionally to reference tables of information or clarify a topic. Our textbooks are used by the students outside of class to look up ways of doing things but are not generally read cover to cover.

So based on this I feel we could successfully incorporate electronic materials into a lot of our courses. This allows the instructor to easily add extra material, internet articles, update material as software changes slightly etc. Plus electronic material is easily searched to find the applicable information.

But a majority of instructors are against its use, saying it is difficult to learn from. I would agree if our courses were highly re-enforced by reading the text, but again I don't believe they are.

Comments?

Thanks
Jeff

Hi Jeff,
I don't know what to say about the resistance from your fellow instructors when it comes to using electronic materials, since you all are already in the field via computer applications and instruction. I would guess they are a bit fearful about using a new media with which they are unfamiliar. I would suggest that you put together a mini-lesson using the various forms of media (PowerPoint, online, etc.) Try it out with your students and then after it is successful demo it with your fellow instructers. They will find that it is a viable teaching method and will help both their students and themselves to get the point across.
In my classroom I have a blend of PP, Elmo (a form of overhead projector), video, DVD,CD. I can switch easily from one to the other so I can use any and all that I want when they are needed. This way my students don't get bored with me using just one form, plus I can show them the latest and greatest via the online applications nested within my other media applications.
Gary

Hi Jeff,
It seems to me that most of us are the 'tweener' generation. Meaning that we were introduced to the digital age after we learned to use books as a resource. Most of todays students are digital babies that have always had access to computer information. That being so I believe it is easier for many students to use the computers to learn than it is for us of a different age.
I have seen that there is a strong pull in education to relate learning to gaming because so many kids are comfortable with that methodology. It seems to be the wave of the future. I am still a book collecter and feel more comfortable curling up with a nonpowered resource but I am sure new technologies will bring change to myself and others like me.

Take care,

Andrew LeRoy

Because my students are only together once a week and their work locations are scattered, I have used electronic materials and communication as an effective reinforcement/enhancement tool. In some cases, because I teach in the area of Quality Systems Management, electronic materials can be more current and applicable than hard copy materials or text books. I haven't encountered the faculty resistence that you have, Jeff. I guess I am just lucky.

Jennie

Hi Jennie,
Glad to hear that your fellow faculty members aren't having any problems with using electronic materials. These materials are nothing more than tools to help them do their jobs better. If they can have some postive experiences with media maybe they will start to come around. Your faculty already has. This will allow you to concentrate on the "human aspects" of teaching which is where the reward of being an instructor really rests.
Gary

In think it is imperative that instructors incorporate electronic materials and resources into their teaching, especially since the students will likely be required to use them on the job. I teach in the legal career field and try to incorporate numerous outside assignments that are similar to what the students will experience on the job.

Hi Valerie,
I agree with your approach. Career colleges have to be relevant and use the same materials and have the same standards as the field. To do anything less is to cheat our students in their preparation. The key is helping students be able to transfer knowledge to application.
Gary

Hi Jeff,
I think all of us can agree that electronic resources are incredibly important, and are in fact necessary to connect with many of our younger students, who do not always have the attention spans to last through a "traditional" lecture. The resistance to using these methods is usually from people who are reluctant to learn new methods, either due to the time involved in planning and learning or because they truly believe their ways are better. I think over time, the use of electronic resources will be mandantory, especially at career colleges.
Debbie

Is hard to find out the right text book and resources in one place for a training program. I think that the use of electronic materials and the incorporate of the Internet in to the curriculum, the instructor and student will have good resources and improve their teaching and learning, especially since students will likely be required to use them on the job.

Hi Juan,
I think you will find that to cover your field you will have to blend many different resources, just as you indicated. The key is to make sure you don't miss any of the critical resources that are out there for your field. The is the job of the instructor and requires that he/she stay on top of what is happening in the field.
Gary

Sign In to comment