Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Digging out the answer

What do you do when you ask a question and get... deathly silence? You could, of course, asnwer the question yourself, and sometimes it may be the quickest way to keep up your momentum. But answer too many questinos yourself and you're teaching the class that if they sit silent you'll do all the work. A technique I have used is to rephrase the question to make it easier to answer. Simpli-fying is one way (instead of asking for all four vital signs, ask for just one). Or association ("we did this on Monday just after our review"). Or connecting to TV shows they have seen ("what do they do first when an emergency is brought into the ER?"). Or focusing on a clue (" what word do you see inside "electrocardiography").

I think that waiting in silence for just a bit can be one of the toughest things for a new instructor to do - it can seem like an eternity.
When an instructor takes the time to rephrase the question it may trigger the correct answer or maybe just allowing longer time to consider the original question can elicit the answer you are looking for.

Throughout my teaching career, I have learned to not be afraid of silence - it could mean that they are thinking! I also rephrase the question and pause. I may make a joke and say something like "This is not rhetorical question." I smile and clearly make it a joke when I say this, but it makes the students realize that I'm looking for an answer to see if they are understanding the material. I accept all answers and recognize their input to the discussion.

Here's an excellent paper that also emphasizes the in portance of "wait-time" :
http://69.20.125.200/channel/workshops/socialstudies/pdf/session6/6.ClassroomQuestioning.pdf

Thanks for the info!!

Afraid of silence? Man do I feel better after read your response. Silence has been killing me I'm always afraid I've gone over thier heads if the room is silent after my question.

I have also been faced with the same dilemma of deathly silence. Sometimes, I have made a little game out of trying to get answers out of my students, just to make things more lively. Other times, when I realize that the students look like they are zoning out, I just get everybody to stand up and stretch. It helps break the monotony and get their brain in gear again.

I'm sure many of us have been in the situation referenced in your question. First thing I do in my mind is restate the question to make sure that it was clearly stated.

Sometimes, as you indicated, students will be silent and let the instructor ask and answer the question. If it is something that we have gone over in detail, I'll give them a few moments to check their notes and reference their textbooks. This puts the onus on the students. If someone says, please restate the question, then I use that as a head's up that it might not be clear to others who do not want to say so.

Hi Barbara-
It is hard to hear "the silence" but wait-time does pay off in terms of encouraging students who may actually know the answer but are slow to raise their hand. Here's a nice site that addressing questioning - http://atozteacherstuff.com/pages/1884.shtml

Silence is not always golden. Sometimes students just simply don't know the answer. Sometimes I have difficulty determining when they are thinking and when they are totally clueless as to what I am asking.

I think that at times we all feel that way. Additional wait time gives those who may be hesitant to jump in the opportunity to answer the question.

I agree as I find students can't recall even though they do know the answers. I guess that is when we have to add the "hint" questions?

I have never incorporated the "wait time" when asking questions. I can't wait to try this on my students.

Hi Amy- I think you'll find "waiting time" a litle uncomfotable at first but give it time!(-;
Susan

Silence doesn't bother me as an instructor. It allows me time to see if the class is paying attention, or if they truly do not understand the question. If the latter, I try to pose another similar question, answer, and then ask the original question again.

I agree that humor has relaxed my students. If it is a new class, they are as afraid of you as you are of them. Or sometimes I catch myself talking too much which leaves no room for a question.

Our culture becomes uneasy at long silences. Wait a little bit, it feels awkward, but the learners are feeling it as well. 99% of the time some one will answer.

well said

Another technique that I have found is that I maybe asking too much in one question. When this happens break the question up into smaller components leading to the question then ask it again. This has been one of my many problems.

Since you have found a solution it seems like this may no longer be a problem for you Ron.

Sign In to comment