Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Correct Wrong Answers Before They Set

I find that when students answer a question on a written test, that answer takes on a quality of being "right", even if it isn't. The longer the interval between taking the test and getting the graded paper, the more solidly that initial answer gels, until it is almost impossible to change. Which is a very good reasonn to return test papers ASAP. In one of my classes, which meets only once a week, I use my lunch hour to grade the papers so students can get the corrections immediately.

We also find that students are still anxious to see what they got wrong when they get a test returned soon after it is taken. When a test is returned after a longer time the student has "moved on" and you are right they may never even take the time to see what they got wrong so the "wrong" answer remains in their minds as the correct one.

I would have to agree. The longer you take in getting the test back. The less the student sems to be affected by thier grade.

I find this to be true, even when there are multiple possibilities of answers that could be correct that were not part of the original multiple choice.

This is a great point, I also have the class discuss homework the very next day for the same reason.

I have to agree , the sooner the students tests are graded the better. If you wait longer than you have to,the students can register their answer mentaly, as being correct, even if it is not.

I agree, the sooner the test are graded and returned to the students the sooner the students can retain the correct answers and most important, the students would be more interested in finding the right answers to the the questions they missed and will be able to retain the correct information.

this is very important. I always try to correct the wrong answers before they set in the minds of the students, by reviewing the correct answers after the test.

When all the tests are graded I return the answer sheet with a copy of the test to each student and we review each question and discuss the answers. Someone always says they misunderstood the wording of the question or the question was a "trick question" when they answer incorrectly. When the answers are verified by the group review, that reinforces the material and aids retention.

Hi Jerome - Thanks for your post to the forum and an excellent example of best practices! Effective reviews of tests are essential to make sure that students understand what they got wrong and why it was wrong. Best wishes for continued success in your teaching career. Susan

In the case of continued education for adults in evening classes I only get to see them once per week. To offset only seeing them once per week I give them feedback via e-mail the day after a test has been administered. While I cannot show them the actual question I do find it amazing how often they knew the answer was wrong even before I sent them the e-mail. This confirms that they were considering the question since the time they left class.

Hi Chris- Thanks for your post to the forum. Your communication with your students is exemplary! Prompt feedback is priceless! Best wishes for continued success in your teaching career. Susan

I tried to do my best each class to make sure I will cover all my lessons plans, go over all my class assignments, give well all my powerpoints lectures as well as always set time aside during the student break to correct the tests and give them back the same day.
I always go over the wrong answers and explain not only their wrong choice, but why the other choices are wrong as well. It is definitively time consuming, but it pays back when you see your students get straight As at the end of the class. I do the same with the Homework, I make them to higlight the correct answers they got wrong and also write them in a separate sheet of paper if they want me to give them the Maximum points of this assignment.

Wow Jennie, You certainly "go the extra mile"!! Great work! Susan

Sign In to comment