Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Using common analogies for complex subjects

Some students are very good with practical application but struggle with theoretical principles. Some complicated matters can be explained with simple analogies causing the light to come on. You need to use examples that a particular student or group can relate to.

Hi Christine,
You make a very good point about using examples that a particular student or group can relate to. I keep a notebook in which I jot down examples that I can use in my classes(sometimes it is hard to come up with an example on the spot)I review these examples as I get ready for class. This way I have a large library of examples and I can drop those that don't work as well while adding those that do. This keeps my examples fresh and current. Just a suggestion that might be of help to you as you move your students from theory to application.
Gary

Dr Meers,
Great idea to keep track of analogies and things that click with students. That would also make it easy to share these with other instructors. I'm always on the look out for a different way to approach a topic, and fellow instructors are a great source.

Jeff

I totally agree Christine,
Analogies and relevent stories are my favorite way to try and get a tough point across. They can also allow an appropriate amount of humor to what might be an otherwise dry topic. Plus they are a great lead in for more student interaction on the subject, which I notice more times than not gets students who might be struggling with the idea to voice their difficulties.

Jeff

Hi Jeffrey,
Thank you for those kind words. I like yourself am always looking for ways I can improve my teaching and engage the students more effectively. That is what professional development is all about.
Gary

Having gone to Chiropractic school and teaching anatomy...I found the hardest thing was to find analogies and use common terms to explain difficult subject matter..now, over a six year period...it has become easier...and opening the forum to the other students...they too have taught me some really good techniques for remembering lists and anagrams for memorization, as well as analogies.
Dr. Lynne

Hi Dr. Lynne,
One of the things I like about being an educator is that our community is willing to share with each other. If we talk, observe and implement we can improve each time we teach a class.
Thanks for the kind words.
Gary

Hi Christine,
I also enjoy being able to relate common analogies to my students and see "the light bulb" come on. Theory has always been a tough call and when students are not understanding the subject matter by sharing an experience and actually by placing myself in their situation more often than not drives the point home. They are more open to learning and walk away with better understanding.

Linda

It worked for Jesus. (Parables) I have an analogy for just about everything I teach.

Dr.Meers, I many times use common analogies to help students grasp concepts they are unfamilar with.Your tactic of keeping notes of examples for review will be added to my arsenal,thanks for the tip.
William

Hi William,
Glad the suggestion is of help to you. I use this system so I can see what analogies work and also lets me see where I need to expand my arsenal of examples and stories.
Gary

Thanks for making me see that, Jeff. After all the most memorable lessons are simply a conversation. The classroom can take on just the same mood; smooth, comfortable, and relaxed. With your method of pulling more students in with analogies, the "conversation" IS the lesson in a different suit of clothes. What a comfortable way to learn!

Sign In to comment