Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Reading your class

One method of assessment can be done as you teach. Observing student body language (are they slumped in their chairs or sitting up straight; are they making eye contact; do they take notes when you make improtant points) can clue you in to how much they are paying attention. The number and speed of hand-raisings when you ask a question provides a similar measure. The advantage is that, if you find you have lost the students, you can stop and reteach immediately, rather than waiting unti you mark the test a day or more later.

As I mentioned, I teach an essentials of anatomy and physiology course. It can be difficult to make this course exciting. I interject jokes related to A & P. If they "get" the joke, then they are showing some understanding. If I feel like I'm losing them, I get them moving, ask them questions, redirect back to the subject or play a DVD. I also have handouts related to the topic that in effect covers topics from lecture.

I use body language as my guide for the flow of the class. I can see confusion through facial expression or know they are getting bored through excessive fidgeting. It is a great tool for all teachers to use.

You seem to be an experienced instructor-learning to "read" your students usually takes some time. I deal primarily with Adult programs that have students who work all day enrolled in the evenings. My faculty need to be able to assess when their students are "zoning" and take a break or introduce something hands-on.
Susan

First you would need to figure just where you lost them and why. Reteaching in the same manner may not correct the problem.

Well said Fred. I think it is one important key to become a good instructor.

perfectly said. i believe constant self monitoring while teaching is almost as important as monitoring the students.
many times, if the students don't learn, its the teacher, not the student.

Interaction always keeps them awake. I will involve them in a demo if you are not alert

Body language and facial expressions tell a lot about individuals as well as the class as a whole. Most of the time I will throw out an open ended question concerning the topic being covered if I see the class is losing interest. I try to get the students to draw from personal experiences to help answer these questions.

I agree,Robert.Students do seem to get more involved when asked to use personal experiences in answering questions.

I completely agree. Observing student body language is a great immediate feedback tool, especially when you notice classroom commonality behaviors. It also can indicate to you when and where some motivational teqhniques can be applied. Glad I read your input. I felt like I should have thought of this as I did this part of the course. Thank you Fred.

I have found that reading your class and reteaching immediately is very effective and this also may stimulate questions. Students will also feel that if you give an area that much attention it must be important.
Joshula

Agreed! I have found that if you watch the students you can see how they are learning. Also, if you wait until a midterm or final test to access the students and your teaching, it is probably too late to fix any issues.

I think you make a great point about reading the students. I like to stand at my classroom door and great the students as they come into the room and gauge their body language and their over all demeanor. You can usually find out how the day is going to go just by talking with your students at the start of class.

Fred, I think the minute papers would come in handy if you feel like the students are losing focus. You can find out where you lost them and answer other questions before covering a lot more of the material and effectively losing more ground.

When the class is getting sluggish, I will use a "state change" to get them going again, a state change can be anything that will get them out of their seats and get the blood flowing again

Sign In to comment