Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Read Read Read Arrrgggghhhh

Is it safe to say that as much as you stress to your students to read ahead to be prepared for the next class lecture...you're always gonna get some that don't? Besides "pop quizzes" on reading material...any other ideas to get students to read?

Hi Eddie,
I have used with much success guided notes for the reading assignments. These notes are outlines asking the students to complete certain sections. Granted the students may not read all of the material but at least I have them in the material and exposed to it before I give the lecture. The students receive points for their outlines so there is incentive for them to complete them.
Gary

I have found that many of our students are uncomfortable with written material (they may have been otld that they are poor readers and/or find it a chore). The day that books are distributed, it might be an idea to have them survey the book (Title, back cover blurb, Table of Contents, Index, last page, Appendices, for example) as a class activity. "How much can you find out about this book in 3 minutes" (one student called this speed-dating a book). Discussing it afterward, the class usually came up with themes/organization/keytopics, etc. It serves to break the ice and sometimes gets them curious about what else is in there.

Hi Fred,
Great idea. This method really gets the students involved in a quick and non-threatening way. What do you find are the most common things students bring up about textbooks when you use this approach? What seems to strike them most about the books?
Gary

Dear Gary:
They seem to like information about the author, career requirements, major topics, self-help components such as glossaries and illustrations. When this works well, they spot items that mean something to them - a task sheet on checking blood sugar for someone whose friend is a diabetic, etc.

Hi Fred,
Good comments. Isn't amazing when you see your students start to see that you are teaching them something they can actually use. They start to take this newly acquired knowledge outside of the classroom and develop personal applications of its use. I always enjoy seeing this happen.
Gary

I like to use guided notes and audio CDs that simplify the reading.

Hi Eddie!

One thing that I've had to come to terms with is that not all students do well with reading in general. Their retention is far higher when I offer alternatives to accessing the same information. Even website or multimedia resources assist some people in obtaining information they would have simply missed with just reading.

d:)

~Erich

Most textbooks have review questions at the end of each chapter. Sometimes this is what I do. I have the students read and answer the questions at the end of the chapter letting them know that they are going to turn them in. Then we discuss each question with particpation from all of the class. In order to answer the questions they have to read the chapter and they will be able to participate in the discussion. I then, give them a open book test so that they can read over the material again. I beleive that this helps them to learn more of the material.

One thing I have learned in my relatively short career as an instructor is that students have different learning styles. Some learn by watching, some by doing, some by reading, and most with a combination of the previous ways. Our challenge, as professionals, is to figure out how each of our students learns and apply our teaching skills to that way of learning so as to reach all students in our classrooms and labs.

Hi Dr. Meers,
I like your idea about the guided notes or outlines. Please allow me to take this a step further. At my place of employment we have a standardized curriculum with tests in both classroom and lab. Each lab test or task has an identifying marker so that a student can access the materials found in their course books. While technology can sometimes change overnight it may be wise to get the student to be more aligned to trends in the workplace than the curriculum may support. As an instructor we are allowed to add our own activities beyond the current curriculum without sacrificing core content. However, we are not allowed to put the identifying markers nor count the work towards a lab grade on our own lab worksheets. While this is great for the many students that are eager to be in class and learn as much as possible, students who are only trying to do the least amount required in order to pass are wise enough to notice that the worksheets are not marked and start working on other ways of occupying their time. Any helpful hints or words of wisdom?

Sign In to comment