Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Motivation...something i wish more instructors i have seen would use

From my experiences as a trainer, i have seen many contract trainers just come in and teach and deliver a very BORING class. Boring as in just coming in and doing whats required as far as delivering course material. I guess for some instructors, they really dont care if the students are learning/enjoying what they are being taught, but it would drive me nuts to know that a student thought my classes were boring and i was uninspiring...

My keys for motivation:

1. Encouragement: always keep your students postively reinforced.

2. Mentorship: make these students think "man, i wanna be like this guy."

3. Energy: Come in charged and ready to go..if you're not pumped, your students sure wont be either. Maybe a Redbull before class :)

Hi Eddie,
Thank you for your comments about motivation. Always keep the thought that you shared about feeling bad if you thought your students were being bored by your lectures. This thought will help you to continued your professional development.
Gary

Motivation: for both the students and the instructor. Motivation has as it basis some keys: WIIFM (what's in it for me), Am I capable of learning, Am I capable of doing (being successful):
I try to tell/show/relate all of these items with good energy (read that as passion) to express how they will succeed using the concepts/learning of the course, how I have utilized the materials in good and trying times, and that I have survived -- here I am! I engage the students to participate in teams to find solutions to problems, to work together and find/complete solution to problems that they can attempt and solve in the "friendly" environment of the classroom, that what is said and done "stays in the classroom": to promote as fear-free environment as is possible so that students will not be afraid to reach and try new things. For it is in trying, failing, learning, and succeeding that the successful student becomes more capable.

Hi Herschel,
Thank you for your comments on getting the students to focus in on WIIFM. You mention that you strive for a "fear-free" learning environment, yet there is always an element of risk when a person is trying to learn something new. What are some strategies you use to reduce the "Fear Factor" for your students?
Gary

Dr. Grey,
I agree with you and I also would like you to help me in the following situation.
I have students in my class that are not sharing the same level of knowledge of the lecture content and that's is due to module-based program in our school. Some of my students just joint the class and some are with me for the last 3,4,or five modules. Sometimes I have to answer questions on subjects that are new to new students but they are repeated to old students.
this is sometime challenging for me and I ask myself, how can I motivate new students by answering their questions on time and following my lecture and not discourage older students by repeating my self over and over again.

Hi Abdul,
I will try my best to answer your question. As I am not familiar with how your college operates I may not answer your question directly.
When I teach a class with both beginning and advanced students I break the class down into work groups. After the lecture I have the groups get together and discuss what we have just covered. This way the advanced students get to use their knowledge and the beginning students get their questions answered. Then if there are any questions that are not answered in the group discussions I can step in and answer them. This way all levels of students get their questions answered without the time being boring for any group.
Gary

my school starts very early in the morning so students definetly need some kind of motivation. i like to come in alert and enthusiastic. i always ask them if any thing exiting happened the night before this gets them moving and talking, it perks them up also it kills the silent time while taking roll (signing in)

Sign In to comment