Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

You must use an instructional style that is consistent with the needs

This is so very true and soemthing I think a lot of instructors miss - esp. in online courses.

Hi Deana,
Creating an instructional style that is comfortable for you and one that works well with your students is always a challenge.
What strategies are you using to select the instructional style that you are going to use?
Gary

I also agree with the importance of this statement. However, my experience has been very positive with on-line instructors. I notice your reply to this was in December and I'm wondering if you are still actively in the class???

Hi Lisa,
I teach both on-line and direct contact courses. I think you can develop an instructional style for both deliveries. I prefer the direct contact because I get immediate feedback on what I have said or demonstrated. The on-line courses I teach are for students in remote areas like Wyoming, Montana, Nebraska and Alaska. The students are great to work with and we have good interaction, it just takes a little longer for the feedback.
I hope this answers your question, if not give me some more information and I will tackle it again.
Gary

Hello Deana:
The instructional style should be consistent with the needs of the learner because all students of all ages have different, varying learning styles. For example, some are auditory learners and some are visual learners. It is the responsibility of the instructor to be able to assess and recognize the needs of the student via discussion questions, verbal class discussions and sometime during exams/tests. I always assess those students which are just challenged test takers; therefore, I can ask the exact same question verbally and sometimes, not all get the correct response.

Sign In to comment