Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Touchy/Feely in the classroom

Another kinesthetic approach I have found effective is what I call "pass-arounds". In a class on setting up an IV drip, for instance, one teacher passes around actual IV bags. In itself, there is little more to learn by touching the bag than by seeing it, but she finds that retention is increased significantly. And not only for the "kinsethetic" student, but for all.

I am also one who prefers to "feel" rather than just "see". One of our instructors actually brings in cow organs such as kidneys and eyes so that students can get a "hands on" feel - with latex gloves of course!

I have also used the kinestheitc approach in addition to other modalities to enhance the learning process. One aspect of teaching anatomy and physiology is learning origins and insertions of muscles. We use massage therapy handouts on palpating muscles and get into groups to palpate the muscles of the upper back and shoulder. I also use slides, pictures, videos and anything else I can find.

It sounds like you are certainly touching all the bases, Cheryl! One of our A&P instructors brings in kidneys, hearts, eyes etc. from cows, pigs and sheep - of course you'd need to have a friendly relationship with a butcher... Do you have anatomical models in your classrooms?

Here's a link to a list of pretty useful A&P websites: http://www.uwlax.edu/faculty/hoar/links.htm

I teach Audio Engineering, so kidneys, hearts and eyes are definitely not part of my props. But I have found that a combination of auditory, visual and kinesthetic works best with my students. Where I teach, the students get to practice on the equipment in the lab. This helps to correlate the lecture with what they will be doing in the real world.

I'm also fan of the “pass around” items. Sometimes I'll see some students having a difficult time with concepts shown via power point or white board, so I'll stop and pass around the actual components so they can hold and see it and sometimes this helps to clear things up.

These are our kinesthetic/hand on learners!

I agree
Alot of my teaching involves students handeling the product along with smelling and tasting it

I teach boat mechanics, and I find that passing around plastic parts that have melted during an engine overheating really impresses on my students just how hot things can get. I've had graduates call to thank me for showing them these parts, because they know to look for things that other techs miss.

I realized a long time ago that you can explain something to me but I still need to get my hands on it to really be able to wrap my head around it. In an industry like vehicle repair, I think it's vital for students to see and feel, first hand, what they are dealing with.

I believe my students get a lot out of putting their hands on the product as well.

I've found many students need to see and feel how things go together and work. I could lecture all day and show pictures but for a majority of my students they don't understand until actually touching the object.

In culinary arts all senses are used.The texture, smell and taste are critical to achieving competancy. One can learn about how to make hollandaise and about emusification but until you have a hands on opportunity to experience the process and to taste the final results you have not mastered the sauce.

I sometimes pass around hearts and kidneys in my writing classes, but people told me I was just being weird. I'm glad to know it can be a relevant teaching techniqe. :)

That's a great idea for your anatomy and physiology class! I am a massage therapy instructor so it's nice to know other instructors are welcoming our techniques into their classrooms. If you ever need more information on massage and palpating muscles, etc. go to http://www.massagenerd.com Ryan is the site owner and the senior massage instructor here at our campus. He has a vast knowledge of massage and there are thousands upon thousands of ideas you can get from his website!

Hi Stevie- Thanks for your post and the link to that terrific website. I will share it with our Massage Faculty! Best wishes for continued success in your teaching career! Susan

We do the same when teaching the skeleton, we’ll pass around bones and let the students see and touch what we are lecturing on. With muscles we have them feel the muscles on themselves and on other students, which is also a good ice breaker. The students become more comfortable with each other and are less afraid to speak up in class.

One of the subjects I teach is a databse class that centers on Microsoft Access. This doesn't really lend itself multiple learning styles. The only way I know of to approache it (and the way the text book we have is set up) is for students to learn cia completing tutorials and cases.

I love this method!!! I usually start out my lecture with powerpoint that has some fill-ins throughout, then to stress certain points during the lecture I will give them a real-world scenario along with several solutions. The student must decide the outcome for the scenario by working together as a team. Then comes the hands-on portion. I demonstrate the skills needed and review the key points from the lecture. The student is also given step-by-step detailed instructions on how to master the skill for further clarification. This has seemed to work very well for me over the past 6 years.

Hi Carey, Very impressive! You are certainly addressing all the learning styles. Best wishes for continued success in your teaching career. Susan

Susan Polick

Sign In to comment