Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Teaching with Senses - More is Better

What sometimes gets lost in discussing learning styles is that (with a few exceptions) we all learn through all our senses. It's just that the message is stronger when a preferred modality is used. And it's not an either/or situation. I find myself preferring the written word, but also respond well to visuals and (a bit less) to kinesthic. My weakest area is auditory. Perhaps we should think of learning styles more as a ranking than a single choice. And we should plan to appeal to as many senses as we can when planning our lesson. Write what we say and say what we write. Pass around anything that can be touched. Diagram wherever possible. When it comes to senses, more is better!

You seem to be very well prepared as an instructor, Fred. Your students must really enjoy your classes. We have a training program at my college that is called "Burn the Podium" where we work with our instructors to do exactly what you suggest- appeal to as many of the modalities as you can in your lessons without of course turning teaching into a circus.

I agree with the concept that we should try to reach all the learning styles of our students and in doing so work on all the senses. I have found in trying to reach that as a goal, I have learned myself and made my course much more interesting even for me.

You make a very good point Jean. I know that although I find it easier to teach using the style I learn best with, I will tend to use the same technique/material over and over which eventually bores even myself!

I agree about adding in as many senses as possible especially if you are trying to place something in long-term memory. I think of how many memories come flooding back with a smell or a song. I consider myself to be able to adapt to several learning styles but there are some things I still don't have at ready retrieval. If I could only connect proper spelling to the taste of chocolate or what is now being referred to as the “oldies” I could final win a spelling bee.

I agree Fred. I have had much positive feedback from students that they are retaining more by utilizing their senses with my teaching.

I agree that taching with the senses is a lost art-esp. since I teach art students. Although they can see what is in their head-what they want to create-and to music, they seem to miss the world around them and the amazement of smell, touch and feel...Hopefully I will be able to incorporate this in my future classes. Any suggestions?

Oh yes! Take them out of the classroom every chance you get! Have them feel and touch at the aviary, the zoo, a forest etc. and then incorporate those feelings, smells, tastes into their artwork.

I agree! More is better. Even when an instructor is not using the preferred method of a student they do retain some of the knowledge. I have my students learn all the way around. "Hear it, read it, see it, do it." If they want to learn they learn, if not, they dont.

I also have my students learn using various ways as I feel this will help them in the real world. We all have our own way of learning that we like the best, but by taking the time to experience the other ways of learning we sometimes learn more about ourselves and the topic at hand.

Sign In to comment