Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Q&A to develop interactivity

Lectures, as noted, need to be limited to about 15 minutes to keep the students' eyes from glazing over. However, many topics require expositioins longer than 15 minutes. One way I have found to break up a lengthy lecture is to periodically ask questions of the class. If I have just made a point, I might ask if anyone can think of an example from their own experience. Or, if there is a connection to something previously learned, I might ask them if "this sounds familiar?". Or I might probe for rationale by asking "why do you think this is done"? By doing this, other voices are heard. And student minds shift from passivity to activity.

Hi Fred!

What I do to keep my students with me is create a conversation out of my lectures. I rarely am the only one speaking during expositions.

The challenge that I have faced is ensuring that I create a positive flow for the converstation, so it is usually led by questions I ask.

I tend to limit my lectures to 50 minutes with 10 minutes for break in each section.

:)

~Erich

I agree, I often ask students questions about information I just reviewed and later in the session when I summarize I ask the question in a different way but it's answered the same.

Hi Lori,
You are using a integrated review process that works very well with students. It helps them to come at the information from a different direction while using the same content. It helps them to remember the information as well as giving them different applications. Good job.
Gary

I think Q&A is a wonderful way to get the whole class involve, and to access the knowledge that they have now, and what they need to learn.

I keep them involed in the topic with questions. And put summry at the end that is open to questions

Brian

Sign In to comment