Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

More than sensory channels

I wonder if we aren't missing something by limiting our definition of learning styles to sensory modalities. It's not only the intake mechanism that is involved, but the mental organizing of material. Some of us, for instance, tend to prefer to think inductively - from specific instances to a general rule. Examples and anecdotal strategies work well with these thinkers. Others think better when you give them a general rule and let them work out specific instances. Guidelines and principles often work better with these.

You make a very good point, Fred. Many schools are beginning to require Critical Thinking classes as part of their degree programs. Here is a great resource on Inductive thinking training - http://www.glc.k12.ga.us/ProDev/link.asp?ResourceID=94&PathID=71

Hi Fred, and Susan,
I tend to agree with you both. I have just implemented a critical thinking portion to my courses to make students analyze projects from different viewpoint windows. Windows (or perspectives) such as politics, manufacturing, economics, etc...
It is certainly beneficial to understand the best method of input for students and to teach to all styles but we need to help them to create a balanced output also that helps them think independantly based on factual information.

Andrew LeRoy

I am teaching an information literacy course, and having students practice inductive reasoning through specific scenarios and career point of views. This helps them see the subject from different paradigms and instances in real life where they will use the material to make presentations in their future careers.

Hi Dawna - Thanks for your post to the forum. Using "real-world" scenarios to have your students learn to apply concepts and skills is ideal! Best wishes for continued success in your teaching career. Susan

Sign In to comment