Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I can encourage my students by providing feedback discussion.

First, I learned the difference between synchronous and asynchronous discussion.  Next, I learned how to guide the discussions, provide student expectations for the discussion, and to give how to give feedback to students.

Asynchronous groups can be all of my class, whereas chats and single student discussions should be 1-6 students.  I hope to schedule regular chats as well as respond at a minimum of once per week with each student online.  I may have to combine my responses since I do have some students more than once in a day for diferent courses and some courses are offered multiple times during the day.  I think that I will use Edmodo for my communication as I have done thus far and make sub-groups for classes, but keep the whole course (even if over several class periods) under one class title so that students who are taking the same class but during different cvlass periods can communicate and share.

It is interesting that asynchronous discussions are the heart of an online course. That is opposrite of a classroom setting. I like the fact that asynchronous discussions encourage participation by all students. The barriers for students who normally have limited participation in a classroom, are mostly removed in an elearning environment. 

In my view, the disadvantages to using synchronous discussion are such that I don't see me utilizing synchronous discussion.

The section on provding feedback is really important for me. In a classroom I rely on non-verbal feedback (smiles, nods, confused looks, etc.) to communicate to my students. The absence of these types of feedback makes me realize I need to aquire new techniques for use in an elearning environment.

Asynchronous discussions are the essential to enhancing learning for tudents in the online environment.  It allows for various personalities and backgrounds to interact, with a detailed, well thoughout response in discussions vs synchronous discussions that can be overpowered by fast typers and the anxiety associated with technology and responding to a discussion.  

The most important aspect of online learning is the same as classroom learning.  An instructor has to determine what category a student is in for their learning/participation style and adapt to that student in order to efficiently deliver the content.  Some students thrive on synchronous 'chats' while others will wait patiently for asynchronous feedback.  Both styles work quite well and a good online instructor will quickly determine how and when to use each.

The Engaging Learners Module reiterated the need for me to continue providing my students with timely feedback and to strategically reach out to the students that are often hesitant to participate in group learning activities.  In order to address to the first item stated above, I plan on using one (1) specific day of the week as my grading and commentary day which will allow me an opportunity to review students’ work, assess it, and provide them with explicit details about their performance on the given task as it correlates to the expectations stated on the rubric.  With regard to the second item stated above, I intend to have breakout sessions with identified students as needed, maintain consistent email correspondence with them, and provide tutoring or help sessions via phone communication.

In this module, I have learned the difference between asynchronous and syncrhonous discussions. I have learned how to implement asynchronous discussions in an onlne learning platform. 

I intended to establish some form of an asynchronous discussion in my online course. 

Body language is an important aspect of how we communicate, we have to compensate for body language not being part of how we are "talking" to the students.

Roger

I thought this unit was good in explaining the difference between synchronis and Asnchronis discussions and the need and use for both.  But the explainanation on why to use Asnchronisis to teach content was extremely helpful.

Synchronous discussions can be beneficial to students and is even encouraged.  That being said, it should be utilized more for individual questions and feedback rather than for learning purposes.

Asynchronous discussion posts are useful for students with various schedules or living in different time zones.  However reluctant learners may need more direct contact to participate in the course

There is a clear distinction between asynchronous and synchronous methods to online teaching and learning. Students must know the difference so they can be successful distance learners.

Online Teaching Techniques --> Engaging Learners

Letting my students know in advance a "Chat" session will be required, giving them an opportunity before chat, for any preparations. Make it clear that their will be allotted time at the begining for socializing, but we must adhere to the Core Chat session time rules. But inform them they will also have asynchronous sessions.

Asynchonous teaching allows everyone to participate but you need to make sure you are engaging all participates.

The instrustructor plays a crucial role in creating the culture of the online environment, engages every student equitably and will need to provide consistent feedack since students want to knowhow they are progressing.

I now have a much better understanding of asynchronous and synchronous discussions.  The fact that acynchronous are set to help ot imporove group involvement and particpation of all.  Knowing and identifing early those that may not or have difficult participating is also important for the instructor.  I can now expland my use of discussion and have better results.

I've been trying to build synchronous foundations for our students but it's crazy learning all the tools and platforms.

Module 3 gave great information on asynchronous and synchronous discussions that I will use in my online teaching. I could see how a synchronous session going over course material would not be a good idea, as it would move fast, and wouldn't really allow time to absorb the information. I think it would be good for a questions and answer session, but limited to this sort of interaction. Asynchronous sessions give great opportunities for learning opportunities and to give constructive feedback about relevant discussions. There are some very good points about leading and maintaining the discussion threads, and I will utilize these ideas in the discussion threads in my class. Discussions are a great way to allow all students to equally express and convey their thoughts, feelings and understanding of a topic. 

In this module I learned more about the value of asynchronous vs. synchronous interactions with a class of students. Aynchronous is strongly suggested over synchronous.  It also became clear that asynchronous writen responses by students will be a primary way for students to engage with the course material and each other. This allows the instructor to assess understanding and respond to effectively. In classes that are too small or too large (above 40) it will be more difficult to elicit student engagement in either way, asynchronous or synchronous due to the variety of student learning styles and the need for student interaction. Breaking into small groups will assist with learning within a larger class environment.

Sign In to comment