Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I really enjoyed this module because I am a teacher who really relys on face to face feedback and discussion with my kids, and ever since we have moved to online learning, I have struggled with reading my students and reaching out to them. I will use the feedback information to really focus on how I reply to my students when they email me a question.

Feedback is key and how you word it is important. 

Feedback is such a hard thing to give teenagers.  They often take offense to critisim even when delivered gently. 

I have learned that synchronous sessions should be avoided with large groups. Also international students and slow readers can have difficulty with synchronous sessions. Synchronous sessions can be used with small groups with specific goals in mind. You should allow for some small talk at the beginning of a synchronous session.

I learned the difference between a synchronous message and a asynchronous message. 

Asynchronous is good for foreign students that are less likely to contribute in a class, group, or face-to-face setting while synchronous is best left to one-on-one conversations.

online learning and traditional classroom learning have similiar characteristics.

I was thinking about having an online session to go over a lesson on modeling a part and programming the G-code.  This module taught me that that is a bad idea!  Teaching should not be done in synchronous settings.  That should be done individually so that the student gets what he/she needs and doesn't have to feel like he is competing with other students or be embarrassed if they don't know something.

The differences betwen the use of synchronus and asynchronus discussions will be very helpful in structuring a class. It was interesting that while synchronus discussion was best suited to an individual student at a time, that is can also be suited to small groups of 5 or 6. This migh lend itself well to group assingments.

Monitoring the discussion board and offering feedback is key to asychonous discussion. requiring students to work in small groups in a great way to foster participation for introvert individuals.

I learned several differances and teaching stragies for both synchronous and asychronous teaching. Rewarding students for provinding indept responses and feedback to other students, and keeping the online conversation/discussion boards active will help the students grasp different concepts and components of the course.

Great learniing betwwen synchromous and asychronous. Now its time to place the stratergies in my virtual classroom.

Participation whether it is a Synchronous or Asynchronous meeting is the truest way to assess content knowledge!

Knowing how to forter participations in asynchronous and synchronous learning evironment, and how to give positive feedback is crucial.

Engaging the learner is most important for the instructor. Many students do not like to respond in fron of large groups so the asynchronous meeting should be a great asset for them

Asynchronous discussions encourage reflection, critical thinking, and more student involment. Whereas, synchronous disussions are more like chat rooms.  Each has its advantages and disadvantages. Participation in learning and getting the students involved is key to their success. Using feedback is also an important tool to assist students in the learning process.

I learnedthe difference between Synchronous and Asynchronous Discussion Learning and Feedback. When giving a feedback with criticism do it privately in private email. Synchronous is used mainly for Chat Sessions and must be limited to a small group of students, response can be immediate. Asynchronous done with larger group and response time is longer.

In this module, I have learned the differences between synchronous and asynchronous discussions and apply them in distance learning according to individual student's method of learning.

I will try to be making the asychronous discussions occur in an online board style setting so that the more individualized synchronous discussions can occur with intent versus trying to fit them into the overall discussion (must like the individualized instruction would occur in a classroom setting once the overall instruction has finished).

In this Module I have learned a few different type of learners, and how to properly involve them into a discussion. We learn that when deilvering valuable information, smaller groups are more effective to conveying the information thoroughly. Identification of contributors is key to hosting affective discussion. 

Sign In to comment