Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Keeping the discussion going is important by both the students and instructor, but I did learn that its best the instructors lead the discussion.  Some students need more support than others, we instructors have to catch this early on so we could have students become independent when doing online courses. 

I learned the difference between asynchronous and synchronous learning as it relates to online courses. I got a much better understanding on the reasons for using each and how to manage them online. I also found it interesting to be able to identify the different learning styles especially the ones that could be a problem online.

I learned the different learning styless in addition to differences between asynchronous and synchronous discussion and guidelines for participation in each.  I found this information very beneficial to assist with the maximum amount of participation to ensure student learning and growth.

The best way to to keep students engaged is to understand the modes of communication for online instruction... understanding synchronous and asynchronous communication was a plus for me.

I learned that synchronous discussions should not be used for large groups and to learn important course content. Students do prefer asynchronous, and tend to be more active and expressive while using asynchronous. But using asynchronous in the beginning can be challenging depending on age group, that goes without saying. 

The instructor should be well prepared before going online. They should allow social interactions before the lesson and questions at the end of the lesson. Teachers should engage students in conversation one at a time so that people are not talking over one another. There should be plenty of interaction, discussion, presenting bt the teacher and in small groups. I agree with laura Perralia regarding both asynchronous and asynchronous meetings. Both were helpful!

I found it very interesting to see the characteristics of online learning styles - avoidant, competitive and dependent. These are much different than the in person styles encountered in a tradiitonal classroom environment. We adapt learning to accommpdate kinesthetic, visual amd auditory learners. It is equally important to identify learning styles for online participants and provide appropriate interventions to enhance learning.

It is so important to engage learners. This allows the instructor to detrmine if learning is taking place withe students and it maintains   the course momentum. Moreover, it allows the instructor to see if additional help is needed.

The best way to keep students engaged and involved is to have frequent discussions and feedback from both students and teacher. 

I appreciated the clarification of asynchronous and synchronous communication and delivery and the outlining of when each is most effective. The reminder that students who are expected to participate in something like synchronous participation when there is a large group may be hindered if they struggle with reading, typing, and/or processing which makes them less likely to contribute or benefit from the exchange.

It is a good reminder to make sure that feedback is phrased to encourage growth and participation and to motivate students to continue to offer perspectives and participate in the process of learning.

Setting guidelines and posting rules and agenda information before the meetings is a real take away.  Encouragement throughout the process for every student is vital to student success. 

Reply to Carolyn Farrell's post:I found online learning styles - avoidant, competitive and dependent to be very similar to in person classes that I have presented over the years. It explains the reactions and evaluations from the students. Also tought me what to look for in the presentation.

This module helps to clarify why students may have difficulty participating and provides steps on how to draw out the reluctant learner.  First identify the passive student’s learning style as an Avoidant, Competitive, or Dependent and then implement best online practices, procedures and strategies to engage the student. Again the module emphasizes the importance of communicating to our students in a timely and positive way that will promote self-autonomy and support effective instruction.

Keep students motivated with interesting discussions and teacher participation.  Also, always encouraging comments and feedback are essential. 

It is important to keep all students engaged in the course discussions, & to give valuable feedback to each student.

What a simple, clearly understood explanation and examples for Synchronous vs. Asynchronous.

Synchronous should not be used to teach critical content. Nor should it be used to evaluate a student's knowledge of the course content.

Synchronous (example Chat room) is for small groups up to 5 or 6. Keep session at a maximum of 30 minutes. Great when one-on-one with a student. Must consider time zones and give students what information is needed in advance so they can prepare. Whereas with Asynchronous (exaple a discusssion post/board) instructor has to facilatate in  such a way as to monitor discussion, structure interaction, provide rules of netiquette, keep to the point, keep group focused, do not allow for rambling..just some of the main points on asynchronous. 

Also the ways students approach their learning. This is information every teacher needs to know from the start. I have seen these appraoches from day one of becoming a teacher. Had I known what I know now, I would not have taken how the students were behaving so personally. 

I have learned the difference in the terminology of synchronous vs asynchronous discussions. 

I learned that constructive and positive feedback is essential to encourage participation and motivation.  Also some criticism should be emailed to the student and not shared with the class.

It is important to understand the different learning styles student have. This will help with managing the class a little better. Also I have a better understanding of asynchronous and synchronous learning. 

I find that it is interesting that students who would not normally participate are more likely to engage with asynchronous discussions as long as you engage with them.  

Sign In to comment