Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

While using asynchronous discussions it is beneficial to provide students with rules or netiquette so they know what is appropriate when posting responses in the discussion.

I never thought of the asynchronous discussion as so important to an online course.  I have always been a person that just wants to dive in with the material but I can see how some students have learning styles that NEED to have this interaction to feel connected.

Timely feedback that is tailored to the student.

Understanding asynchronous and synchronous meetings and why they are important 

Students thrive when there is an active discussion board with a balance between instructor involvement and student-led discourse.

Valuable information for sure going from a classroom to online.

It is important to encourage discussion in a positive learning environment to promote confidence in the students and encourage those students that are more shy than others.  Give positive and honest feedback and carefully word any criticism  so as not to damage the dignity of the student.

I am not familiar with online teaching. I have been a student participating in online. I did not know what the teachers did to keep us engaged, but it worked.

Educators should ensure learners receive all necessary information well before the session, allowing ample time for preparation that includes reflection on session topics, question formulation, and information gathering to foster meaningful participation. Scheduling should accommodate learners' diverse schedules and time zone differences, aiming for sessions with a manageable group size of five to six and not exceeding a 30-minute total duration, inclusive of time for social interaction at the start and end. Communication strategies include personalizing responses, controlling the pace of text chat by breaking down long responses, and, where feasible, utilizing video conferencing tools to enhance engagement and facilitate discussion. These measures aim to optimize learner participation and interaction in educational sessions.

The asynchronous discussion online appears positive over all due to the fact that the single will be participating and learning will be more conducive  to the environment.

I learned why asynchronous communication is used in distance learning and the best way to convey feedback to the students. My objective is to provide positive and timely feedback. 

Fostering an open dialouge with the studnets can be helpful. Ask for feedback on what teaching tactics are working and which need revision

I did not know the differences between synchronous and asynchronous was interesting to learn. I particularly was interested to see how a student views a instructor when conducting a course and the behaviors/mannerisms that show when teaching. 

Asynchronous discussions are such a great way to get all students involved.  It is important for the instructor to monitor the discussion board regularly to be sure the students are staying engaged.

The publisher's concept of synchronous/asynchronous discussion groups is clearly out of date.  The use of TEAMS has clearly altered the way things are done.  The asynchronous groups place nearly all the emphasis on written communication, which ignores the most important parts of nonverbal.  Besides, students don't really participate in the asychronous groups.  

encourage discussions by keeping them going adding your own comments and thoughts when necessary

I like new ideas on how to engage online learners

It is important to provide positive feedback to students and our wording is also important to type the right words and tone to student's.

It is important to learn the students learning styles and adapt to each of them

You don’t want too many students involved in a synchronous meeting . It’s more affective .

Sign In to comment