Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I realized that just as in an on ground class the shy or reserved students are generally quiet, and overrun by the more confident and often motivated achievers. I see that when the discussion is synchronous the student may be overrun just as in class by the others, while an asynchronous discussion allows them to feel more at ease to express them self and not be intimidated. 

Provided differences in the types of feedback that we could use to keep students engaged and discussed specific situations of when they should be used.

Synchronus and Asynchronus learning are tools that can be used effectively, given that the instructor knows how to use them best.

Enjoyed learning about Beguist and Phillips student learning styles

Receiving feedback from students ensure that they are properly understanding the material and learning. If not you know where to add support in their struggle and what to address.

Discussions are important.

It is important to know how to use asynchronous and synchronous meetings, both can be helpful if used properly.  

I have learned the importance of understanding students’ learning styles so that an educator can effectively engage students and manage students' behaviors. Avoidant, competitive, and dependent learning styles are important to identify as early as the first day of class, because they prevent student participation and learning. Once you identify them, work hard to change them and guide students to adopt collaborative, participant, and independent learning styles so that they can be active participants in the learning environment.

Asynchronous discussions are key to get high participation rates. E-learning that keeps the student engaged gives the student encouragement and comfort level in feeling that they matter.

As an instructor, I will use the synchronous and asynchronous discussions to promote student interaction.  Encouraging online participation is another aspect that I will incorporate into my online teaching by identifying students who are not active participants, creating small group projects and coordinating learning activities so that reluctant learners are encouraged or lured to participate.

I will ensure that i pay attention to different to different students learning styles.

In my experience with online learning, timely feedback is significant for students. The same feedback received a few days later may have much less impact. 

Feedback is good to receive, especially if I am lacking in one area where students have experienced with me.  Asynchronous discussions allows students to be more engaging, especially if the students are shy.  Synchronous discussions may hinder the shy students from participating because of intimidation from students that are more active.

It was beneficial learning about synchrononus and asynchronous discussions. Students have different learning styles and some are faster than others when chatting. With asynchronous disussions it will be beneficial to students in different time zones and students who tends to dominate a chat room.  

I learned that it is better to keep groups small and information down to 30min.

This lesson taught about the difference in asynchronous as well as synchronous discussions.  It gave us support around conducitng discussions with groups and how to monitor them effectively.  It also provided us with strategies to include in our teaching practices to build rapport with our students and continue to provide an engaging classroom.  

I learned how using synchonous and asyychronous meetings benefit the learning process.

This is very good information about how to engage all students, but particularly reluctant students. I think the online format will make it easier to engage these students than in face to face instruction.

I plan to share this suggestion with my students to setup chat and feedback norms

• These recommendations apply also to composing  summariesof discussion forums.
  • Introduce  your contribution with a short summary of your understanding of the  focus of the discussion  forum.
  • Keep  your comments to the point.
  • Focus  your contribution on your analysis of the topic, your reaction, and  your opinion, as well  as your willingnessand openness to understand other participants.
  • Keep  sentences short and to the point. Be friendly, informal, and  concise.
  • Use  action cues or emoticons to communicate to support non-verbal  communication.
  • Use  subject lines that are clear, specific, and concise.
  • Proofread  your response for grammar, syntax, and clarity.

A good understanding of synchronous versus asynchronous learning and when each is applicable as well as netiquette.

Sign In to comment