Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

monitoring group chat is essential, allowing time for everyone to engage will promote learning

I will be allowing students to interact in the beginning and end of our online learning sessions.

Make sure to maintain engagement through asynchronous and synchronous discussions.

Encouragement is an important tool that can make a difference in how a student may succeed in a class.

In this section I learned its important to be able to have interaction for both synchronous and asynchronous discussions. It may be easier with synchronous because they can see your face but when not in person it is just as important make sure they know they'll get positive feedback too.

Using the discussion board is one way to keep the asynchronous learning in engaged. 

Keep content relevant. Don't say too many words. Literally don't talk students to death in these PowerPoints. Make your words count. Try to be funny. If you're not funny, well, at least you tried. 

Keep Syn conversations to one to two students. Make sure that all students feel engaged, and engage with them. Give frequent feed back to students online

As others have mentioned learning the difference between synchronous and asynchronous is essential. Additionally, staying active and participating with students in discussion can engage them more and encourage them to be active in the learning experience. 

Asynchronous discussions encourage student participation. 

I feel it is important to engage students by keeping them engaged in discussions, activities, critical thinking exercisesl important to keep the conversation moving forward by adding new focuses.

To be active in the discussion board in order to engage the students. To provide positive feedback and encourage participation

Asynchronous discussions are able to be more informative and deliberate. Synchronous discussions are more suited to one-on-one or enhanced with a video. I had a professor once set up a video chat at the beginning of the semester to answer any questions students had for real-time feedback. A few things he did to get around some of the downsides to synchronous chats were to have students send email questions ahead of time that he could address on the chat, he recorded the chat and made it available to everyone, and he scheduled a second chat on a different day of the week and a different time of day.

Provide feedback on a timely basis.
Word your feedback messages in such a way that they build confidence within learners and encourage them to continue to pursue the objectives of the course.
When your feedback includes criticisms, choose the correct tone and wording to avoid damaging the learner's dignity.

Learning both synchronous and asychronous discussions makes it clearer to me.  We use more asychronous discussions here but there could be a time when synchronous could be an option.

Asynchronous meetings are more fruitful in the online environment,

Discussion questions are a major part of an online class.  Knowing how to help students respond to discussion questions and carry out a discussion is the responsibility of the instructor.

Synchronous discussion is best used with one student at a time, I did not know this fact.

Learning and understanding how and when to apply asynchronous and synchronous methods when engaging student discussions. That managing time on online will allow feedback to the learners responses. It will ensure learners of the instructors  presence in their experience.

I have learned some of the benefits of asynchronous over synchronous meetings. Some students may dominate discussions that take place in real time if they are competitive, so allowing discussions to unfold at different points allows all students the opportunity to contribute their voices to a topic.

Sign In to comment