Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Students have different learning styles. Much more so only. I now understand asynchronous and synchronous learning as it relates to online courses. I feel I can reach more students in different ways with this learning.

The differnece between using asynchronus and synchronous discussions is important. It is not recommended to have synchronous disucssions with more than 5 to 6 students at a time. It is also important to hold multiple synchronous sessions so that learners in different time zones have the opportunity to participate. 

Asynchronous discussions requre the instructor to be an active particpant to keep the learning going. It is important that students have a rubric of how the discussion is being graded and the rules of netiquete pertaning to online discussions. One way to do this is to post objectives and rules of class discussions in a rubric for students to read and have handy as they are creating their online discussion posts. 

Learning about the different learning styles was helpful, especially the first three and how this can inhibit learning in an online environment.  Also the importance of asynchronous learning and the challenges on synchronous learning

Asynchronous discussion is the preferred method of discussion when delivering important course information. 

You have to foster feedback by providing feedback regularly. Beecause you can;t see the individual like in a regular classroom setting to make sure that students understand.

It was valuable in learning the differences between asynchronous and synchronous meetigs.  These provided an understanding of how we can engage students in the discussion forums.  In the engagement of discussion plays a role in student participation and engaging the students in learning the topic of discussion and how they can apply what they are learning in the career path they are obtaining a degree in.

A valid point was made about not having critical lectures hosted as live lectures. The is crucial to the learners atmospher. When you have students apart of your lectures the recording can be lengthy and insufficient for most learning styles if others can't keep up with the content.  Also, watch how you address your students in your feedbac. Your verbiage is important and crucial in not diminishing a students value. 

To remeber that students have different learning styles, and to know how to deal with each student in a responsible way.

Most learners do not have only one method of learning. So as an instructor, I must be able to identify those methods and address them if needed. 

Engaging students is the key to their success and course comprehension. Asynchronous is the way to go with a group of students; synchronous is real time and reserved for one on one.

By having both asynchronous and synchronous discussions proves to be beneficial.  Asynchronous is better depending on class size.  Feed bacj us imposrtant and make sure it is clear.  

I learn about Discuss Board and how and when to use the different type of Discussion. I also learned how important feedback is in an online learning platform. In a CTE class I would use it to encourage additional learning and to check for misunderstanding of material being covered

It is important to allow students a few minutes of social time at the beginning and end of a chat.   It works out better to have commnication be asynchronous when covering important material.   In synchronous communications, plan time ahead of time for students to have thought of their answers.  Limit the size of the synchronous groups.  

I learn the definition of asynchronous and synchronous.  I think whether you are teaching online or face-to-face it is always important to make sure that all your students are active.  Some students are going to be shy and more reluctant but find a way to get them to engage in the conversation.  I have found online these students are more likely to share than in an oral setting.

I was interested to see the learning style catagories of Bergquist and Phillips. Had not heard of the Avoidant, the Competetive, and the Dependent, but I have seen them everyday. I appreciate the information concerning synchronous and asynchronous dialogues. I would not  have known to keep synchronous chats to few people at a time, but it makes sense. I appreciate the information concerning student support and how to encourage them to be engaged. I also appreciate the knowledge to keep core content by video etc and not by synchronous meeting. Very good to know. Use that for support, answers, and relationship building. 

It was interesting to see how asynchronous discussion was so much more effective than synchronous. I appreciated all the input on how to maintain the focus of the discussion as well as to provide feedback and constructive criticism to students.

Discussion in an online class is just as important as discussion in a traditional classroom. In addition, feedback is also important. Students need to feel rewarded in some way for their input.

I learnt the difference between asynchronous and synchronous discussions . It surprised me to know that asynchronous is preferred over synchronous!! I also learnt teh importance of using emoticons to instill humor . How to intervene at teh right time . How to gove guidelines . 

I learnt the difference between synchronous and asynchronous learning . I learnt the importance of using emoticons to instil humor . I learnt how important it is to intervene to add direction  to students learning . I learnt that asunchronous is preferred over synchronous. 

I learnt the difference between synchronous and asynchronous learning . I learnt the importance of using emoticons to instil humor . I learnt how important it is to intervene to add direction  to students learning . I learnt that asunchronous is preferred over synchronous. 

Sign In to comment