Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Synchronous discussions are discouraged as they tend to be dominated by just of few people. Asynchronous discussions are very good to help students use critical thinking if the questions pertain to the objectives of the course and encourage students to share insight into the course and its objectives. 

The difference between asynchronous and synchronous teaching online and the benefits.

Definitely a new realm of teaching for me. The presentations have been very insightful and informative. Provides a better way of teaching, learning new things...

Engaging learners: need to establish netiquette and focus the discussion. Allow for socializing during synchronous meetings but don't let it get away from you. Provided feedback when possible.

Learning that asynchronous discussions can lead to higher participation results. Every student has a different learning style and catering communication style can help each student be successful.

Participation is key in any type of class- asynchronous or not. Participation allows students to learn off of each other

This module showed the importance of asynchronous discussions and how to facilitate them appropriately.  I haven't done an online synchronous discussion, but I can see now why these would not be beneficial.  I like having the video option at some of my other schools I teach at and think this should be implemented more because it makes it feel more like a community classroom.

I learned the important difference between asynchronous and synchronous learning, and when I should engage in each of them. 

One thing that I have learned is that the larger a class size is, the more engagement is hindered, especially for synchronous. 

It is important to deliver feedback quickly and in a supportive fashion for discussion threads. Due to the lack of body cues, it is imperative that your written work projects support and, if giving negative feedback, that is done in a fashion that is not off-putting or upsetting to the recipient.

Very true. Students that are well connected with their work and instructor always show alot more commitment. 

It is best to offer synchronous sessions with only one student. Asynchronous discussions can happen at any time. 

Keeping posts informal and to the point is important. The use of emoticons can be helpful to create a nice tone. 

I loved this suggestion to use a video-enabled chat tool or video-conferencing platform to engage your students and facilitate the discussions. 

I learned the best ways to approach synchronous and asynchronous discussion boards. Particularly that in an online platform, synchronous boards are difficult, as there will be students form different time zones and regions.

Synchronous discussions are best done with one student.

I learned that giving feedback/posting in discussions is very assistive student learning.  

Participation, engagement, and instructor support is vital in online courses and student success. 

it is imperative that online students feel like a part of the Online classroom. Well, a lot of these students today are not necessarily outgoing. It is an important step that the instructor be the bridge between students and they're online classmates.

When learning the difference between synchronous and asynchronous it is important to facilitate student participation and guidance to use the available tools.

Sign In to comment