Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Asynchronous and synchronous discussions have significant types of adantages. Asynchronous discussions being the most beneficial for online teaching. 

The biggest take away for me was to provide feedback to students as well as request it in return. I plan on emailing my students individually periodically to check-in on how their course is going for them and for any feedback they have for me.

Synchronous and asynchronous discussions can be used to engage learners in the lesson.  Make sure you use the one appropariate for you and your students.  Address questions openly and honestly and make sure you provide feedback whether positive or negative in a qay that the student does not get discouraged and they maintain a positive attitude towards the course.

Learned about engaging and fostering feedback to and from students.

There are many things to consider when giving feedback. This module has a great checklist.

It is an important recommendation not to use synchronous discussions to instruct important course content or get a feel for students' understanding of the concept.

Going through this module I thought back to many online classes I took in college.  Very few times did the professor participate in the discussion threads.  I will absolutely be actively involved.  I want my students to know I am there for them.  

Difference between synchronous and asynchronous. 

The understanding of the two types of discussion wil help me in chats and on line discussions as my course goes forward.  It is also good to hear that constructive criticism is okay when presented in an appropraite manner.  

I learnt about different learning styles, asynchronous and synchronous discussions as well as guidelines on giving feedback in an E-learning environment.

How would an on-line instructor modify the disruptive behaviour of students with avoidant, competitive and dependent learning styles?

In a traditional setting,  pupils learn best through seeing, hearing or doing and it's best if an instructor incorporates these three components to achieve maximum participation and learning outcomes. A differentiated lesson plan would help an instructor incorporate these three components.

How would an on-line instructor engage a student whose learning style is mainly avoidant?

I am concerned about the recommendation to email students with feedback on how they did with engaging in online discussions, and let them know their scores.  I have about 120 students.  That is lots of emails to compose and give specific feedback.  

It was good to gain a better understanding of synchronous and asynchronous techniques.  I have been engaged as a learner in asynchronuos meetings and have seen the value in this type of learner.  As an on-line facilitator I would use this method as it has been proven to engage learners consistently and effectively.  I liked the information on the different types of learners for e-learning.  I currently house assignments in Canvas for my interns that I oversee,  I have a few avoidant participants.  I will use the strategies provided moving forward.

It was good to gain a better understanding of synchronous and asynchronous techniques.  I have been engaged as a learner in asynchronuos meetings and have seen the value in this type of learner.  As an on-line facilitator I would use this method as it has been proven to engage learners consistently and effectively.  I liked the information on the different types of learners for e-learning.  I currently house assignments in Canvas for my interns that I oversee,  I have a few avoidant participants.  I will use the strategies provided moving forward.

It is important to idenfify the learning styles of every student so as to be able to develop effective strategies that will encourage student participation in the discussions. It is also very important to give and receive feedback 

I feel that this section is more about social interaction in an online world

As an online instructor I should make discussions open and try to keep them active to allow the students to help each other bounce thought processes and ideas off each other.

Asynchronous participation is more predominant in a online learning environment,

The use of differnt communication methods require different methods. The loss of facial and body communicvation must be compensated for in online instruction to maintain the proper meaning of written communication

If you hold synchronous sessions, provide students information prior to the chat session to better prepare them.  To promote confidence and participation, provide feedback.  

Sign In to comment