Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Information on synchronous and synchronous learning are valuable especially, if we look at the differences between the two.

Also remembering how we provide feedback to students is important. 

There is a difference in effectiveness between synchronous and asynchronous meetings.

As an instructor, it is important to foster and encourage everyone to participate. Give criticism as needed but use encouraging words to foster participation.

Asynchronous education is much more appropriate and easier for the instructor and student

In most cases asynchronous discussions are easier to handle.  To keep students engaged providing positive thoughtful responses and requesting students to comment on other's comments is helpful.

Comment on Pamela Gabbay's post:  I agree Pamela.  Have an active discussion with your students can make them interactive with their peers.  It's a great tool for students to express their opinions and ideas with each other.

In online learning, the instructor must manage synchronous discussions to keep everyone on topic and able to learn from them.

Engaging students in asynchronous learning is important for student engagement and participation. Keeping lessons engaging helps students learn. 

I learned that asynchronous discussions are more effective than synchronous discussions, and the valuable tools to keep students engaged and motivated.

This module is particularly helpful in keeping students engaged in discussions, creating small groups, monitoring the discussions and inviting shy students to participate.

For my students to continue to be engaged and excited in their learning process, I should elicit more feedback so that my students never feel that I am only giving them the bare minimum because if I set that standard, I can only expect the bare minimum from the students in return.

gaining trust is most important and delivering the needed knowledge

My main takeaway of this unit is the relevance of identify the different types  of students and their characteristics, in order to adapt our teaching methodology to them.

I find it very interesting to know about synchronous and asynchronous communication with which you can interact with students, and the way in which communication should be given depending on the case.

It's also important to know the learning style of each online student.

We should always encourage, excite and encourage to follow the course and to get involved with the learning

Learned there are different learning styles and understanding our students , their style of learning. Asynchronous & Synchronous discussions. Feedback in e-learning is crucial . Using appropriate tone, words that will build their confidence, encourage them & will not damage the learners dignity.

I was surprised to learn that the asynchronous model is considered more effective than the synchronous model in online learning. The asynchronous model allows students the opportunity to be involved in higher levels of critical thinking and ensures that they are more directly engaging with the course material.

Asynchronous teaching is a better way to educate students that include all learning styles. It will include all personality types to participate at their own pace without falling behind. It encourages reflection, critical thinking, and more students are not only engaged but communicate on a personal level to boost encouragement to continue to want to participate in the class. I have not given to much attention to the challenges of synchronous teaching before this module. Challenges appear when dominant personalities or rapid texting can overtake the classroom setting. Helping those who have more of a learning curve or those who only complete required learning, will not likely to initiate discussion.   

I'm surprised the new best practice for only synchronous discussion should be limited to one student at a time. Interesting.

Not all students will have the same learning styles. It is important to utilize different teaching styles depending on what the needs are for the students involved. It is important to take into consideration the amount of time needed depending on the style. 

Learning the difference between the best times to use asynchronous vs synchronous. When it comes to discussions it is important to maintain the focus of the discussion and not it let drift too far from the lesson at hand. When in synchronous discussion allow for time in the session for socializing at he beginning and parting remarks at the end. And give feedback in a timely manner, that builds confidence even when when there are times you are being critical. 

Sign In to comment