Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The LMS used at the school I work for is a time clock based program. The students log in and out and receive clock hours each day.

The instructor has to be available to the students at all times. If the students are working on their assignments independently, is this considered to be asynchronous learning? All classes are in real time.

The takeaway from this module is to make sure I am using different teaching styles to be more inclusive to my students. 

I feel that having synchronous discussion with students gives them more personal one on one commentary needed for understanding of certain content in a course. I have never heard of asynchronous discussion until just reading about it today. Most online classes I feel use asynchronous discussion, especially with larger classes. But most instructors require you to respond to other classmates post as well.

I have learned the importance of knowing that not all students can participate synchronously or asynchronously

I believe that adding valuable information to the responses will help students see our enthusiasm to keep the conversation going!

What i learned about during this section was about asynchronous and synchronous in an online classroom setting. One being affective for whole group discussions in form of a discussion board and the other more so effective one on one, more personal. I intend to use this knowledge for setting up more effective interaction and discussion for my future classes.

The route of communication is important when considering how the student should be approached about a topic or potential feedback on an assignment. An instructor needs to gauge what route is most appropriate to communicate with a student and how their information can be best received.

I learned the difference between asynchronous and synchronous meetings. I learned to keep the conversation going and how to engage students in conversations.

In online courses it is essential to achieve student participation in synchronous activities, but especially for asynchronous activities, it is important to promote participation by generating feedback. It is also important to detect students who do not participate in order to communicate with them and engage them in the development of learning activities.

The course is great I better learned about asynchronous and synchronous and how to give and ask for feedback.

Asynchronous encourage reflection and critical thinking involvement. Synchronous is not to teach critical courses unless it's one student at a time.

Both synchronous and asynchronous teaching can be beneficial for allowing students to be expressive 

I will ensure I maintain good practices in my online discussions. 

Consider varied teaching delivery to ensure the majority of students are reached, and provide engaging discussion boards that are varied to maximize participation and momentum.

Feedback is important and should be done in a timely manner. It should also include positivity and encouragement.  

Participation, along with consistent and timely feedback, are extremely important

I learned that it is important to provide feedback to students in order to keep them engaged. 

I have learned the differences in how to run and manage synchronous v. asynchronous discussions. Asynchronous discussions are best used in an online learning environment with preferably less than 40 students. Any more than that can be difficult to manage. The instructor must continuously monitor asynchronous discussions. Synchronous discussions are good one-on-one or in small groups of no more than 5 or 6 participants to encourage class participation. 

One of the suggestions for leading Asynchronous discussions that stood out to me was "provide students rules for netiquette." This is vital, as it establishes much needed guidelines for discussions. 

Asynchronous discussion is a discussion that happened between student and instructor over a period of time and it is an excellent tools  that we need if we deal with a shy or not public speaking student. 

Sign In to comment