Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Learn each student learning style and make sure you provide feedback that is reensuring. Watch tone of e-mails and words so we come acress is a positive even when trying to help the student do things in a different way.

It is important to engage the learners in both synchronous and asynchronous learning at different times through the paradigm of learning. 

Students will exhibit different degrees of different learning styles in e-learning. Try to identify students that are not active and reach out to them. I plan to provide feedback in a timely manner and choose the correct tone and mood when providing constructive criticism. It is also important to not let some students dominate the conversation which could make quiet students shy away from participating.

Choose your words carefully when providing feedback. Synchronous discussions are for small groups, 4-5. Asynchronous discussions are used when critical course content is being discussed.

I learned the difference between conducting synchronous and asychronus discussions and when each would be more appropriate. Synchronus discussions should be limited by both number of attendees, topic and time and allow for some brief chit chat to help participants establish repoire with one another.  A follow up summary would be a good idea to be email out on the main concepts. Asynchonous is more common and can be more in depth and cover all topics for the current week/module. I have always ensured that every student gets at least one individual response from me and a follow up one if they respond to my post. I use colors to denote an intial response vs. a follow up comment and find appropriate media or videos to ensure that students have an opportunity to hear/see/read the concepts in a variety of ways. We use Rubrics and even when I need to inform a student of a breach of netiquette or plagriarism, I always make sure I find something to compliment and encourage them with. 

From reading module 4, I was able to review the types of students that makes online learing challenging. It also provides tips on how to manage these types of students, manage the class as a whole, identify at risks behavior and at risk students. The module also highlights the srategies in conflict management, communication and providing feedback to students.

I plan you use this infromation in my online classes. I have learned startegies that will help online students become more active in my classes.

Hi everyone!

In this section, I learned about asynchronous and synchronous discussions in the online learning environment. Asynchronous discussions are generally the better option with larger groups as it gives the learner more time to evaluate and form all responses with increases the level of interaction on the discussion board. Synchronous discussions are good for smaller group sizes when administered over a short time period (30 minutes). 

Another important thing we learned about was engaging certain types of learning styles like avoidant, competitive, and dependent. Each of these has its own challenges that accompany it so the steps to getting them engaged in the online environment will vary on a case by case basis. Lastly, I learned about how to give feedback in an online environment by being timely, encouraging, and using proper tone when giving criticism. Additionally, as an instructor, I should regularly seek out feedback as well. 

-Danielle 

The use of asynchronous discussion boards reaches learners of all different types- specifically the avoidant population. I plan to use asynchronous discussions, over synchronous. I also will provide feedback to each student (privately) regarding their post. Although this module suggests communicating in an informal format, I prefer to discuss formally with students to promote a certain level of professionalism that I expect in class. 

Synch and Asynch sommunciation are both needed for a good online course. How you use each of these methods are important and should be utilized accordingly. I want to make sure theat tone and cliamte of both forms sets the goal of inspired learning.

I like the ways mentioned to help offset the lack of nonverbal communication when using online learning. I often try to put a little personality into my feedback to students through various means they've listed like using emoticons and lol. I wondered if this was unprofessional, but I'm glad to hear that if a bit of professionalism is lost to bond forming, that it's worth it. 

I learned the characteristics of the online learning styles - avoidant, competitive and dependent. These are   different than the classroom face to face styles that we traditional encounter.   I also learned that the asynchronous discussions are key to getting the higher participation rates. Now lets see if it works!

This module was very helpful to define the expectations and the best practices for each type of online form.  I am now thinking about converting some of my review handouts into an asynchronous form.  I will really need to focus on how my non verbal communication comes across.  I a wondering what the expected time frames and frequency might be for reqponces in an asynchronous form espicailly for students of today who are used to texting all day long.  

Discussion Board

This module had a lot of information. I learned and concur with the information provided on methods of communicating with students. I completed my bachelor online at East Carolina University and my graduate degree online at Liberty University. When I think back, all my teachers applied the principles covered in this lesson. I know from experience that asynchronous is the best method for all learning styles for online learning. I tried to figure out which of the three learning styles I had. It is true, asynchronous communication is easier than synchronous. A couple of my teacher incorporated a couple of video calls towards the end of each degree and they went well. Moreover, as the lesson mentioned, the classes were broken down into groups to be on those calls. I would apply the information covered because I know it was effective for me.

Evonne Dantzler 

I learned about feedback.  I think I am pretty good at giving feedback but sometimes it is good to be reminded of the why.  I also learned a lot about setting up informal sessions.  We are currently teaching for 4.5 hours and we utilize audio, video, and chat.  I didn't think about the slow typists as being an issue but that is definitely as issue.  

Providing asynchronous and synchronous instruction are both effective strategies in leading online discussions. However, it is important to know the goals of the discussion before choosing a strategy. For example, if you need to present new content, asynchronous instruction would be an appropriate approach, but if you need to clarify information to one student, synchronous discussion would be a great approach.

This module was very interesting to me.  Zoom is the current "Cool Tool".  Teachers who have not taught online before all are trying to use Zoom to recreate a classroom experience.  That is a form a Syncronous Learning, which is not encouraged.  Instead asyncronous learning is prefered to allow more thoughtful participate and allow learners to learn at their own pace.

How to use asychronous and synchornous communication to forster learning.

I have learned that engaging the students is a good way to keep everyone interested in the material. It is my job to make sure that the conversation stays on the subject matter or you will have students becoming uninterested in what is being talked about. Never use Synchronous for a session of more than 5 students. This is considered a chat session and moves fast. Use Asynchronous for discussions as it will sometimes take longer to answer questions and the chat moves slower. If you have constructive criticism, you should send that student an email and do it in a way that it doesn't hinder the student from wanted to talk to you or learn. 

It is important that all parties students and teachers are participating in an online course.  

Sign In to comment