Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I have learned that I need to be well aware of the pitfalls that can hamper participation in Asynchronous Discussion Groups. Whether it is someone who is shy, lives in another time zone, or has no interest in learning, I have to as teacher figure out where it student is in regard to their lack of real participation and help promote opportunities where all can contribute and learn in a fair and postive arena.

The  module focuses on the differences, advantages and disadvantages of synchronous and asynchronous discussions. iI also addresses the importance of and the appropriate ways of providing feedback to the participants.

Asynchronous (anytime) and synchronous (real time - chats) discussions are important for engaging students.  It is important for the instructor to consider time zones, class times and student schedules for class discussions.  Feedback should be positive and build confidence and encourage participation.  Personal email to the student should be used for constructive criticism of student work or participation below standard.  

I've learned that it is important to provide feedbach in both synchronous and asynchronous discussions and to keep the synchronous discussions small.

I now have a better understanding about Asynchronous vs. Synchrous Discussions.  Both discussions have their different place in the teaching world.  

I have seen through my 4 years of teaching that students have different learning styles and I need to be flexible to promote individual learning.  I plan to utilize chat sessions so students can learn from each other.

I didn't realize how much I rely on non-verbal communication.  I use proximity in my class quite a bit and I get close to the students that I am encouraging to answer the question because I want them to know just how important their contribution is and will be to the class.  I will need to be mindful of this while transitioning to teaching online.

Recognizing these learning styles in an online setting is going to prove challenging I think 

gaining trust and make sure i give feedback to any question.

I learned how to help a shy student become more comfortable by creating small groups to work in. I also learned the type of students I may encounter.

What have you learned from this module and how do you intend to apply it?

I literally have never heard of asynchronous vs synchronous learning.  After this module, i know what they are and use them in my actual classroom environment, but it's interesting to hear it be called something. 

I like to stay in touch with my syudents.  Currently asynchronously be emails to all and syncronchronously privately by emai, text, or even a phone call to discuss and gain understanding of their perspectives on a topic and for me to correct perspectives as is necessary.

i learned about gaining trust in the way of on-line learning.  I also want to learn more about feedback and how to do this from both sides

I learned that it is a good strategy to allow for some social interactions to take place at the beginning of the discussion. It is also important to allow for some wrap up discussion at the end of the session. 

I have learned what a synchronous and asynchronous discussions are and the pros and cons these styles.  When I was reading about the three categories of learning, I wondered which category fit me the best.  I did have a laugh when I read the word “netiquette” as I never saw the term used before.

All of the topics have bearing and if I am going to be effective as a teacher I will need to review the class topics prior to the start of my class and even during.  I may even make a checklist that I can reference to.

It was interesting to learn the pros and cons for synchronus and asynchronus activities. I think both should play a role in online learning. 

Very good information was presented regarding how to engage students in discussions and feedback. Has given me things to think about for when I do have to teach online.

Using emojis i think will help to give the students a sewnse of the mood of the class. also providing as much feedback as possible to engage the student. 

I have gotten a lot of information about how to make asynchronous learning more focused, and how to get all students involved. It is interesting to reflect on strategies used in online classes I've taken in the past.

I have gotten a lot of information about how to make asynchronous learning more focused, and how to get all students involved. It is interesting to reflect on strategies used in online classes I've taken in the past.

I have learned the difference between Asynchronous vs. Synchronous Discussions and how to utilized them in an e-learning format to promote learning. I learned the 3 top learning styles that inhibit student learning in an e-learning environment and how to foster participation in the different types of discussions identified above. Discussion preparation is important.

Sign In to comment