Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I liked that the course mentioned to make it a personal experience for the student. I also learned about list your credentials and even hobbies to break the ice and engage the students in the online platform. This builds trust and which opens up the door for the entire term.

I alsways considered a biography a way to pat oneself on the back. I never considered it as a tool that can be used to introduce yourself to your students and get a better understanding of your students and where they are coming from. I am already thinking of ways to incorporate biographies into my course.

Learning from your stuents personally can build a better relationship with them and help you learn different teaching techniques.

Students want to know your background and it can help them connect to you.  Sending personalized messages to students can help them feel your presence as the teacher and that they are not alone in the process.

You must assert your presence in an online classroom.  Let students know that you are present and available for questions and discussions.  Present students with a headshot and biography.  Ask for a short biography from each student so that you can better understand their personal learning style and objectives.  

One on one relationships are important in the classroom and online. In order to get to know learners and for learners to get to know eachother online, is by having each learner write a biography. 

We want to be professional, but also show our students that we are human. When they get to know us a little bit, perhaps they will look forward to class more and be willing to reach out to us with questions. 

I really appreciate the part about building relationships with the students.  I think a combination of having the student post their biography (with the suggested structure) will be helpful.  

For adult learners, I think the question regarding what led them to take this course is extremely important.  Adults have many reasons for taking courses.  For example, it may be that the person wants to get a better job (with a sense of urgency).  For others (i.e. older people who are retired), it may be an opportunity for socialization.   Understanding this is crucial to serving them as an instructor.   

I also think sending the personal email within the first week is extremely powerful.  From this, the student will know that they have an instructor who is listening to them (i.e. ref from their biography) and that really cares about the student's progress.  This will give the student a peace of mind about the class.  It will also encourage them to work hard and to do well.   Indeed, this interaction has the potential to develop a relationship that will endure through the class.  It is a way of "paying forward" the relationship - making it easier for the instructor to address potential difficulties  in the event difficulties surface later.  

posting your own biography to show your academic credentials and educational experience and getting the biographies from the students will allow the students to interact effectively with the instructor. and also responding to the students in a timed manner is important for an effective e-learning.

GIVING YOUR BIO AND GETTING A BIO FROM THE STUDENTS IN THE BGINNING IS VERY IMPORTANT TO CONNECT WITH THE STUDENTS IN AN EFFECTIVE WAY. 

I learned the importance of providing students some information of myself.

I learned, even with an online presence I need to just be myself and be engaging. The presence is important and student need to know I am there and qualified to help them. 

I have learned it is important to project and maintain your presence and authority from a distance, sometimes students can feel overwhelmed and have a hard time responding when the instructor is hovering.  As instructors we must establishing a trusting relationship with each learner, the students will respect and trust us which fosters a good learning environment. 

I plan to use these theories in my online courses that also teach best communication practices when working with patients in a healthcare setting.

What Ihave learned is very important this help me get to know the student and have trust in them and how prepare whatI have learned to help the student achieve better grades in each subjects.  

Create a positive learning environment. Share your experience and credentials to help enccourge them to learn and move forward.

I share as much of my back ground,,,,, experience and experience as pssible with my students. I want them to feel confident that they have a skilled inistrucotr and what they are learning is of value to them in their learning experience. They also need to feel that they will be able to apply the knowledge and skills they are gathering.

Considering that my students are becoming cousellors it has always been important to share experience and some history. This module has made it more evident that this can be achieved by inquiring for a bio and supplyin one of myself rather than just verbalizing it at the beginning of class. It also, thankfully, suggested some techniques I already employ so I am pleased to find out I am on the right track.   

Providing credentials and work experience will provide students with supporting evidence that reiterates the ability to teach the specific topic and will allow the student to trust the instruction. 

I have learned that making a connection with students is extremely imprortant and valuable in distant learning. There are many venues you can achieve this goal and should over extended your preseance to create a welcoming plateform for all participants.

I have learned that you must make your presence known by emailing each student by end of week 1 and also introduce yourself with bio on week 1 day 1.Plus encourage students to do the same in the online format.

Sign In to comment