Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Students should have a personal experience with the faculty to create an real and open learning environment, allowing the student to see who you are gives them a connection and respect to the faculty.

Nakeisha 

In this module I've learned, how to be present in an online scenario, how to have authority in an online scenario and how to establish a relationship with online students.  I liked the suggestion of asking each student to tell me and everyone a little something about themselves in a discussion forum along with myself providing a short biography for them to get to know me a little better as well.

I learned that to be an effective instructor, it is imparitive to get to know your students background specifically academic and occupational. 

There were some great tips in this section in how to project myself more into the course and to build trust with the students.  The personal welcome message sent to each student by the end of the week with my attached biography and a reminder of my office hours is a great tip and I plan on implementing that immediately!

learned the importance of making ever effort to getting to know your students despite the virtual platform. 

In "Projecting Your Presence" module, we first reviewed strategies used in a traditional in-person classroom setting.  We then learned ways to convert these strategies, to fit and to work with an online classroom setting.  I learned strategies for an instructor to show their presence, to establish relationships, and to be interactive, in an online classroom.  We have to be creative in finding ways to establish instructor-student and student-student relationships in an online classroom setting.

An open biography from instructor to student following a student biography to instructor is a great way to initiate personal relationships, building the trust it requires to move forward in conducting a successful course.

This module helps me to proyect my interactive level within the clssroom enviroment

I've learned it's important to allow students to know who you are and how you are qualified to teach the subject. It's equally important to know who your students are and why they are taking the course.

I was surprised at how responsive students were to open questions and how willing they were to share insights into their challenges, victories, and lives in general.

While not wishing to intimidate them with my professional credentials, I see that having "authority" within the class is probably more important than being overly modest.  Hey, their confidence will grow as the course and the comments progress, at least that is the hope.

Mr. G.

I learned that it is important to have a prescence and let the student know who I am. It is also important to get to know the student so they feel comfortable with you as well. Your prescence in the discussion board should not overwhelm but help inform. 

I learned that letting each student see all of each other's biographical information builds a more cohesive class. 

Lots of good tactics and practices.

how it is important be manage your classroom and be supportive

Introduction of self and having students introduce themselves is important in establishing rapport.

Four popular and effective ways of projecting your presence in an e-learning environment are:

• Initiate, lead, monitor, and manage synchronous discussion sessions.
  • Oversee team projects.
  • Participate in asynchronous discussion forums by offering your response to the discussion question and sharing with all participants a summary of their contributions.
  • Answer student queries and provide informative and constructive feedback in a timely manner. A 24- hour turnaround time is generally acceptable.

I appreciated the suggestion given to develop rapport with students by having students post their biographies.

One of the most effective ways to begin building an e-learning community is to ask students to post a short biography of themselves. 

It is important that students know my credentials as their instructure so that they have the confidence and understanding that I have the subject matter expertise in the content that I will be delivering.

I appreciate the idea of a discussion board post with the student's biography. Additionally I like the idea of the 1st day and 1st week messages to students and attaching my biography as well. 

Sign In to comment