Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Technical issues were a big problem for quite a few of my students.  I see it identified as a source of frustration, but I am hoping that I will be able to gain more strategies to help students help themselves when that occurs.  I think it is important since their being able to successfully navigate can be tied to that.

Students are able to do well in an online platform when lessons are structured in a meaningful way and teachers are there to support the students throughout the learning process. 

I thought it was a great idea to have a student orientation. I think I will inplement that as a part of my students online learning. It would be helpful if they had one video that showed them how to navvigate through the class apps and external resources we will be using. 

It's important to understand the CMS to be a successful online instructor. Keep things simple and organized so that students can easily locate material. Also know how to address technical issues that may occur.

I can't say I learned anything new, but the reinfocing thoughts were also very worthwhile.  Most noticeably, teachers and students need to be trained, students do better when they feel supported, teachers are more successful when they are proactive and engaged.

on-line  help and support

Keep it fresh and inspiring while maintaining balance.

I enjoyed this module because it FORMALLY addressed many small particulars that have come up in our planning discussions for going virtual.  The team on which I serve is diverse and full of helpful information, but this module formalized the information that needs to be shared and provided a roadmap for sharing.

Truly knowing the power of your CMS is important to the success of e-teaching and learning.  This course has cleared up several start-up factors for me.

The sequencing of modules needs to follow the most logical progression of content delivery, to ensure that the students are able to aquire the necessary knowledge in the most effective manner possible. As Match knowledge is primarily an incremental process (what you learned yesterday applies tomorrow) the structure of a course becomes paramount.

As an instructor it's important to review know how to navigate through the online system from start to finish.  i.e.  Checking students profine; review attendance, post assignments with or without deadlines; access grades; give feedback.

Ensuring success is a byproduct of knowing all aspects of the system being used and that students understand what is expected and when

I must know the format and system I am using to effectively instruct students and help them navigate the online infrastructure while learning the material.

As an online intructor, it is important to set goals for the course.  This will of course look different for various age groups within the school. Setting the goals of the course will allow for different instructional strategies to be implemented within those goals as far as the course components, how to award participation points, assesment measures and schemes for grading.

To enssure you have a successful course you must ensure it is structually sound, and you are able to access all content. Additionally, You need to have a solid understanding of your orginizations CMS.

I agree that communication will be key in letting the students know what is expected of them in each lesson and module within the course. Giving deadlines for students to complete assignments will be important.  Because I previously taught course content via "hands-on" activities in small groups within my class, my challenges will be making sure I have assignments that meet the needs of ALL students in my class and labs until we are back in the classroom.  Organization and ease of navigation through the lessons will also be a key component.

This is a reminder of what I do on a daily basis. I have experience teaching from a LMS/CMS.  

My challenge wil be to find a way to take hands on learning into a virtual environment and have it have some resemblence of meaning as group projects did from the previouse year.  I understand the various ways for students to interact.  I have not yet learned of a way to replace the kinestetic learning.

Looking at the tasks that involves different strategies on content delivery, I didn't realize there are so much more to it compared to traditional teaching in the classroom. THe one thing that stood out to me is locking the assignments so that students don't move forward on lessons and activities. I never really gave quizzes since everything I do in the classroom in very hands on but I will have to consider doing that moving forward.

I learned that nothing can replace in-person instruction.  Communication is definitely different online, and small nuances and subtleties are missed.  However, with the correct grasp of the platform, there is a good chance of delivering good content.

Sign In to comment