Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I have learned that students will learn more and retain more if they are forced to exercise significant mental effort while learning.  I will find ways to imbed research into my PPTs or maybe have them access a podcast during a recorded lecture so the student has more interaction.

Great. Very useable information. 

First of all, get to know your students via Zoom or some other face-to-face medium. Many students are new to the online learning environment and are very apprehensive and need to gain a sense of security. The first few meeting are your chance to invoke trust and leadership. They need to know that you will be there in a timely manner to answer their questions and they need to know if they run into any technical problems that either you or someone else can help them with their issues.

In our current situation I believe teachers can effectively implement and conduct virtual lessons and measure student understanding with tools available to address each student's need.

Structure and simplicity with set up of CMS including modules and lessons within modules.  Simple navigation, get rid of links that aren't being used.  Provide students with a way to communicate with you when needed and letting them know you are there for each and every one of them, building a relationship with every individual.

Cousre Delivery

Under the module, there are several know how to do for the instructor.  The instuctor must know how to create the roster, assess the student, ask provoking questions, form groups for student breakout, design, deliver, and know the material.

Reply to Courtney Minor's post:  I'm impressed that you said you must know how to convey the instructions of the materials in various ways because not all students learn the same.

Reply to John Cabra's post: Can you list a least five?

Reply to Derrick Blackwell Sr's post:Exactually what is the CMS?  What is it used for?

Reply to Rhonda Lucas's post: Yes, fast feedback helps the student engage in their project and give them a sense in gaining their knowledge in any given context.  Also, I found if you join students together as buddy partners that are really getting immediate feedback for a peer which they better learn from.

Reply to Lisa Haldeman's post:  Hi Lisa,  in an online setting, how would help to engage those students who fall behind?  How would you enlighten their curosity?

Reply to Amelia Robinson's post:  As an instructor would you say you go by the book "word for word" or you have a different style of teaching?  How do you know you have covered all the basis of the context? Teachers have teaching styles but are they effective when instructing the students?

We must start out with the goals of the class and the manner in which the course is constructed. All course components must flow and be easy to find. Online teaching should have several instructional strategies (such as media, presentation, tests, quizzes and so on), so everyone has the opportunity to learn. Assignments and due dates must be clear and assessment measure should be fair and graded on time. It is also integral that an online teacher use some sort of calendar so students and parents are aware of deadlines.

Reply to Christena Lushnikov's post: Yes, Christena, I never knew the tone of my voice until someone stated that my tone was demanding.  Ive always taking the authoritative approach but didn't realize I was doing this across the board.  It didn't matter if you were an adult, or mother, father, sister or brother even an adult son. First I didn't listen to myself as the thought process was released.

Reply to Lawrence Bufalino's post:  Well written Lawrence.  As an online instructor myself under the ELL, I was not informed by all the protocol of teaching online.  I will also become a better e-teacher, too!.

In online learning as well as in the regular classroom, you should be five steps ahead of your student.  I mean you should be able to anticpate some of the problems that might accure and be equiped to handle anything that might come up.

It is a great idea to add value into your conversation with a prospective student. I came up with some sentences for the Admissions team to incorporate in their daily conversations.

The e-learning enviroment is an effective platform to deliver instruction but there has to be organized steps and strategies for it to be effective.  As the teacher, in order to avoid the pitfalls of technology preparing to teach is just as important as the course content itself.  

With online learning, organization and ease of use from the student end is critical. An instructor can still be creative and use various approaches to teach, but the course must be simple to navigate and well organized. In transitioning to online instruction, I agree that consistency and organization are the most important components to ensure student success. Students still need availability and live support from the instructor when needed. Faculty must be knowledgeable about how to appropriately use the online learning platform to meet the necessary criteria for a successful course. 

Students are more successful and compfortable in the onlne learing environment when they are sure that they will have the learning support they need from their instructor and the technical support they need also. 

Communication and a mutual understanding of the material is super important for the instructor as well as the student. 

Sign In to comment