Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I have learned a lot about syllabus and module, assessment quizzes and proper structure of a online coarse. I learned this by taking this online class. The challenge is how to be online present during discussion topics so student get there questions answered. Learning how to keep students engaged online. I am excited to learn and expand upon these skills.

This was an effective module as I was able to learn more about how/why to develop modules that make it easy for students to engage. I also learned within this module that what mainly frustrates students in online courses is technology not effectively working. In the future I need to spend more time test running each portion of the course to make sure that is completely student friendly.

I liked to see that the structure of content in the LMS is what I recommend to faculty. Good summary of online instructor responsibilities.

This course explains that there are a lot of ins and outs to online courses. There are many things an online instructor needs to pay attention to.

The structure of online learning requires engagement, understanding, and commitment understand and meet all of the requirements needed to be successful

That engagement is key for distant learning students

Online courses need to be organized with clear communication for student success.

I better understood the importance of why a  good online course should be organized, easy to use, and have clear communication. I plan to become familiar with the course platform so I can help students find materials, complete assignments, and get help when they need it.

I believe patience, incorporating multimodal delivery methods, providing a safe space for self-reflection and giving constructive feedback can foster a supportive and successful classroom. 

Engagement is the key with online learners.  It is important to taper the engagement to the type of learner.  

In this part of the module I learned how the organizational structure of the course is arranged and the importance of keeping track of resources and schedule.

 

Understanding course platform .

Comment on Lina Parra's post: 

Online teaching can be a struggle because it presents challenges that are not always present in a traditional classroom setting. One of the biggest difficulties is maintaining student engagement. Without face-to-face interaction, teachers may find it harder to capture students' attention, encourage participation, and ensure that learners stay focused throughout lessons. Distractions at home can further reduce students' ability to concentrate and stay motivated.

Technology can also create obstacles for both teachers and students. Internet connectivity issues, software glitches, and limited access to devices can disrupt lessons and lead to frustration. In addition, educators often need to spend extra time learning new digital platforms, troubleshooting technical problems, and creating online materials that are both informative and engaging.

Another challenge is the lack of personal connection. In a physical classroom, teachers can easily observe students' body language and identify when someone is confused or struggling. Online environments make it more difficult to assess understanding and provide immediate support. As a result, building relationships and fostering a sense of community can require more effort.

Despite these challenges, many educators adapt successfully by using interactive tools, maintaining clear communication, and developing creative teaching strategies. However, online teaching remains a demanding task that requires patience, flexibility, and strong technological skills.

Teaching in an online environment requires much more than subject knowledge and management skills, we need to get to be tech savvy. One needs to learn all aspects of the online training environment from a technical standpoint. Be familiar with the hardware and software applications as needed, so as to answer any questions as required. Also rely on technology to work, when in my experience, it's always going to fail in some way beyond our control. I'm going to be as familiar with the systems as permitted and have IT contacts handily available. 

I learned that a strong online course needs to be well organized, easy to navigate, interactive, and supported with clear communication and timely feedback. I plan to apply this by becoming fully familiar with the course platform and making sure students understand where to find materials, complete assignments, and get help when needed. 

I learned that every user who is an online course has varied experience with the platforms. Therefore, it is important to be flexible and encouraging. 

This course has been a great review. It has prompted me to get experience with all of the nuts and bolts or the CMS, rather than the ones I use the most.

I am glad to have learned that I am incorporating all that the module has mentioned so far in regard to being an online instructor - posting announcements, timely grading, providing feedback, answering questions, and knowing the course content and assignments. 

I have learned about the CMS and the importance of paying attention to details about the students and managing the students coursework.

Sign In to comment