Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Keeping the discussion board lively and interactive is key to engaging students in a virtual classroom. Should the dialogue begin to wane, it's crucial to inject fresh content into the discussions and encourage student participation. This strategy not only revitalizes the conversation but also ensures that students remain involved and interested in the learning process. It’s a proactive way to maintain a dynamic and inclusive online learning community.

Structure is very important in e-learning. As an instructor I need to understand the online platform and be proficient in using it to teach the class

There are several key takeaways from this content about online teaching. I learned several techniques to aid in student success, such as the importance of having clear modules and lessons with clear due dates, expectations and examples. I do my best to use all of these tools in my own online classrooms. I really like that Concorde has the course pre-designed for all courses, so students have that consistency that is valuable for online success. Not all colleges do it this way and though it is nice to have the academic freedom, I think there is something more valuable in consistency for students.

I need to completely understand the CMS (LMS, as I was taught) and all related components. I need to make sure that I am available to my students and have access to all areas of the CMS where my input is required. Students have many ways to communicate with me during the term, and I can seek out those who do not communicate to engage them.

One thing the first section really highlights is that different instructors will use different techniques to reach the same goals.

I have a good deal of experience in the online environment so this was a good review of what we should be assessing at the outset of the course. 

The information shared was incredibly helpful. It dived into how online courses are structured, what instructors do, and the key planning involved in creating a personalized curriculum. I appreciated the focus on good communication skills, which are so important for online teaching success. I'm excited to use the module structure as well!

It's crucial to ensure that everything is set up and students have access to all materials from the first day. They should become familiar with the course delivery method and understand all the rules and policies related to the course.
I should also familiarize myself with all the technology and strategies related to the course.

I have been teaching online for 15 years.  While the methods of delivery have improved from the days of Outlook Web Access, the responsibilities of the instructor and the functions of the process remain the same.

I learned the value in the support infrastructure and the importance of learning the online platform before the start date. 

I learned all the necessary tools and instructions for teaching an online course and things I need to be aware of and know how to do 

You cant just jump into teaching a course online even if you have taught it in person, must become familiar with the course platform and options.

I learned how important it is to familiarize yourself with the course elements. Teachers approach instruction in different ways, but the students need consistency. They need to know what to expect. 

I learned about the importance of learning support and to pay attention to what my contract requires of me. I appreciated the item discussing the turnaround time for student inquiries.

I think it is important to make sure the student understands the parameters of the course, particularly computer requirements. In addition, you want to make sure that the students know we are here to support them, and that there is a person on the other end.

There are many different e-structures, all designed to help students and instructors best work together.  Because of this, instructors need to familiarize themselves with the platform prior to teaching the course.

Comment on Holly Voss's post: I completely agree with structure of the content.  If the course is not structured well, students will have issues with navigating the content.  

I have learned that keeping up-to-date contact with students (announcements or small videos) are a good way to let the students know you are available and eager to engage with them throughout the course.  

I especially liked the checklist of items under "comprehending the course delivery format".  These would be excellent considerations when designing a new course and thinking about the delivery of the content.  I have designed courses before but never really approached them from a structural format.

I learned that technology and e-learning are imperative to the success of students. 

Sign In to comment