Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

we must make mistakes in order to learn from them

Trial and error has led me to success - I appreciated the wise words and box analogy from the Harvard Professor

learned about make things poorly or with mistakes takes you to do things well , awesome info, and taking notes about mistakes to correct them.,

Mkaing the class a comfortable place for students. Its important to hvae this so they are open to coming to school and helps reduce any fear they may have about being in the classroom. 

Learn from our mistake is easy keep making the same mistake is not hard to do! 

I used to worry about the what ifs when a new class would begin, but being prepared takes the jitters out and confidence is regained.

When you make a mistake look upon it as a learning experience and dont do the same mistake twice.

I like to start a course by telling my students that I am there to assist in their training, and my desire is that what I contribute will help them in their careers.  I also tell them that I hope to learn something from them. Without question, my teaching techniques have developed from insights that were learned from students, and I want them to know that their imput is as important as mine.

I forget student's name so I decided to say thier names 4 times during class just to refresh my mind quickly. I also forget about  giving them a break time. I apologize after we laugh & I will say" I am human & make mistakes so please remind me when it is break time to stop feeding your brain too much  information".  

Being a new instructor this module hit home for me, I am very nervous about the "what if" things that can occur. This module gave me a little relief to know that I am not alone in these feeling and I will over come it. 

Yes we do know more than our students, but being prepared proves it.  

I used to expect perfection from myself but over time I have realized that I am human like everyone else.  The most important thing when making a mistake is 1) to acknowledge it, and 2) to learn from the mistake to avoid repeating it.

Preparation before class is very important to the delivery of the material. It reduces anxiety of the teacher and also the students. It is also important to have a system to learn students names to address wit their name as we go on teaching the class. 

The best way to learn from mistakes is to make them, learn from them after all we are only human.

I can recall starting my first semester as an Instructor and completly feeling overwelmed but looking to those more seasoned than I helped with the transition. Preplanning will greatly effect in a positive way.

Beprepared, you will have some darn good students that may catch if you make a mistake. Dont dwell on it,  say good answer lets talk about it or be prepared on next subject. 

good module 

Reply to Shelley Freshman's post:Remembering names of students is always a challenge. I will make a seating chart which helps greatly, especially wiht large classes. As students arrive I mention the seating arrangements and make sure they understand the rules from the beginning of class. 

Reply to Rebecca Castelletti's post:Absolutely, students know when you are not prepared, especially when you can't answer the quesitons. In addition, working assignments with students in class builds an environment that is productive and challenging for the instructor and student alike. 

Don't overthink things

Sign In to comment