Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

We all make mistakes and we definitley are not perfect. My biggest mistake is that I tend to talk to fast. sometimes I catch myself and sometimes my students want me to repeat what I just said. I am very passionate about what I do and I constantly vary the pitch of my voice but, I really need to work on slowing things down a bit.

I appreciate the overview of common mistakes.  I do have an awareness of potential difficulty with holding students accountable.  Knowing this has helped me work on having responses on the ready for difficult situations.  As i practice and prepare I will be better equiped to demonstrate accountability and fair treatment for all.  

Instructors not only expect perfection, but they anticipate failure. This can make them more anxious and end up causing them to actually make a mistake that could have been avoided had they been relaxed. 

This module demonstrated to me that i shouldnt overthink my inexperience as an instructor and get thrown off my A game.  Take the same structured approach to becoming a quality technician and everything else should fall into place.

As new instructor it is beneficial to operate with planning and "in the moment" not stressing about what ifs.

I'm a first time instructor so I'm a little nervous. I appreciated the tip that I don't have to introduce myself as brand new/inexperienced to students. There are better ways to present my past experience to help me feel confident in myself and instill confidence in my students.

I always have a hard time remembering names. I have 10 students in cinical every other week I have a total of 20. I only see them 4 times and really try to write notes  to remember. This is my challenge

I love the Square success that was discusse din the video: to get well/right you always start as poor/wrong.

I am a new instructor and I am still honing my craft. I try to give the students as much information as I can but in a format that will help them retain it. I also ask the other seasoned instructors for advice which really helps. I definitely feel I am going in the right direction. 

Manuel Mesa

Do not dwell on mistakes, press on. Find that go-to fellow instructor and bounce the experience with he or she.

Coaching football for 20 years has prepared me well for classroom management. Though I must admit that remembering names is sometimes a problem. It was so much easier when all I had to remember was players' numbers.

Planning ahad of time to be prepared dailt. 

In order to do things BOTH well and right… you must first have done them poorly to learn to get do them well!

The fear of making mistakes is a good one for me. Uning humor is a great suggestion

I learned it is very important to remember each of my studetns names and to present myself with confidence,

We all make mistakes, and learning from them is key for growth. Let's continue to prepare for what will come.

In order to do the right thing well, you first have to do the right thing poorly. If you make a mistake in the classroom, it is important to own that mistake immediately, address it with the class honestly, and work through the mistake together. This shows the class that you have integrity and you're not just there to be an infallible authoritarian, you are there to help them to learn. Sometimes through this process, the instructor will learn too. 

I hav eproblems remembering new studentrs names. IU today called on oine of my studnetrs to reasd the power point and called her somethings that was not her name. I said, I am sorry; she laughed and so did I.

Self-reflections and taking notes help us learn from mistakes and evolve and grow in our teaching practice. 

Whenever I am faced with a new subject to teach, I spend a lot of time in preparation. My challenging problem is to estimate the time to cover every section of a new lecture. I don't ever run out of topics, but I run out of lecture time.

I tend to explain and repeat to ensure solid unerstanding, but with the limited lecture time every minute is so valuable.

I divide the lecture into sections according to the topic covered, so they are not of equal length..

But before presenting the same lecture the second time, I reconsider the previous experience and make some adjustments to try to fit the material in the allocated time. This usually involves letting students study some parts ahead on their own and bring me their questions.

This pushes some students to really study ahead, but some other students are left behind because they didn't study, and I hate it when some students are unable to compprehend the topic and I'm out of time..

I do offer office hours, and I encourage them to bring me questions, but in many cases they don't.

Sign In to comment