Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

As a student for much of my lifetime I have seen each type of student as a peer. Now understanding there is a way to counter or mentor each type or guide was a great lesson for me. Now as an instruction I will use these tips to help control the class. 

very informative course. I learned about the many challenging types of students and how to find ways to support them.

Learning to deal with many different personalities in students is important so that all students have an equal opportunity to learn. Getting all students engaged is important. 

I have of students that are always looking at there phones and computer through out class.  Even when I state to put the items away.  They always wonder why they did not do well on the exams.  It is hard to get them engage even with conversation.

I see more often students sitting in the back on their phones and disengaged from the lecture.  Sometimes I feel as if they are laughing at me, yet I brush it off and typically mix in case studies and audience check points to break up these disengaged students.  I also like to do group projects and try to mix up the groups each lecture to help with diversity and creativity; group activities seems to work best.

I encounter many of younger students who has not developed the maturity of some of my other students and are not as attentive or engaged. I have to literally say their name and ask questions to these students to draw them back into the conversation. In some cases I have pulled students into another room and have spoken to them one on one to see what I can do as an instructor to capture more of their attention and this has been successful.

very informative.

I love the idea of colored cards!  This ensures all students get a chance to participate.  Also it can help you determine which students are less engaged.  I love the students who know the correct answer all the time, but it's important for everyone to get a chance to join in.  This ensures a more comprehensive understanding of which students may need to be engaged with more during class time.  It is very helpful to have different tools to help deal with different student outlooks.

I learned about dealing with the different personalities of students.  It has been a while since I was a student physically sitting in a class.  A large part for me was online so getting ideas on how to deal with the different student personalities has been very useful information.

Comment on pete mata's post: Thanks for the insite. 

Involve all students in discussion

Very interesting!  So many of these I have seen and so appreciate ways to handle it.  

Gives a lot of great ideas on how to deal with challenging students

Comment on Natasha Ramirez's post

How to deal with inattentive students was definitely an eye opener for me.

You have to have different approaches for different students l.

Hold to course requirements, but also be willing to work with students as everyone's situation is different. 

Don't look at the student as the problem. Talk with student to help them work through things they may be going through. Multiple strategies can be used to address difficult students.

The content provided helpful strategies needed to deal with various challenges posed by students in the classroom. I particularly appreciated that as the instructor it is important to be purposeful when dealing with difficult students.

Difficult students can monopolize the classroom if not handled appropriately. While it is hard to balance feelings of wanting to help all of the students learn the content in an environment conducive to learning , and wanting to eliminate any threats to that environment permanently . I have have found that often those that on the surface appear difficult have underlining issues that have either been ignored or misunderstood. The easiest route is to avoid or  eliminate the problem or ( student) . However our mission is to help all students. . The trick sometimes is to do so despite the students actions .  It may also require more of and effort on my part to dig a little deeper to get to the students issues with the ultimate goal of getting them back on track with less distractions during class. 

HEY! I was one, if not a few, of these "problem students" and now I can see how the teachers dealt with me. I can now add these tactics to my own repertoire. Standing by, or walking near, the inattentive student will be useful; curtailing but not eliminating the desire to contribute of the center stage student; these will be effective during class times.

Sign In to comment