Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I learned how to use techniques to control my class and get my students more involved. Using colo cards for asking questions each day and combining groups were a couple of them 

Seth Soronnadi

Learned to; "Make sure that you include all of the students in discussions and activities. It is easy to let the center-stage student take over, so you need to make a concerted effort not to overlook the quieter students."

It is important to recognize the signs of the various types of challenging students and utilize specific techniques to manage their behavior. 

When a student starts blaming others for their lack of effort in the class it is important to give them encouragement and support. 

To help with inattentive students in the past, I have used "the pass to leave class"  at the end of class.  Students have to identify and write down 2-4 main points from the class that day before leaving. It helps them to think about what was covered.

I learn that  every student has a certain  role in class.  Learning to understand  each student  will help better my teaching skills 

Difficult students often feel like no one will call them out on their innappropriate activites.  Once they understand the expectations and limitations, and the teacher consistently follows up, most of the behavior goes away.

This module contains valuable strategies when dealing with different types of learners.

I would of never though about using the talkative student as a note take to take the attention off of them.  It gives the instructor more control of the class and the student who wants to be center stage. 

Reach out to the students who are the trouble makers to ensure that they know who is in charge and see if you can bring them back to focus

I really like the idea of the use it wisely cards to limit the vocal students and to aid in curtailing their behavior. I just may try that when I teach next term.

As an instructor, I may have to address inattentive students. It is the instructor's role to engage the student and find out what motivates and causing the disengagement. Always address the student alone, do not shame or embarass. 

Definitely good information!!! I really like the idea of helping students by encouraging them and not shaming them. Positive reinforcement definitely is better than negative comments

making discussions open to all students invites discussions as well as increases good behavior. When you have students having difficulty reach out to them to find out what exactly they are having difficulty with and if there is something you can do as an instructor to help change that. 

Dealing with challenging students is hard.  Some require extra attention, while others want more hands off.  I have one student who has to come in and tell me everything that happened since we last had class.  If I try to cut the story short I see a complete shut down.  Others require complements and notoriety.  Each student is different.

Follow-up on assignments. 

I found the section of follow up assignments to be reflective regarding reading material.  I struggled with my first weeks of teaching and getting students to read.  I found it challenging as a student to read but quickly discovered as a professor how important it is stay up to date on reading material.  I would like to develop this area by coordinating quizzes or assignments based in reading material 

Minute papers 

I also found the minute papers to be a good alternative to help with engagement.  Often times, my students were frustrated because I didn't give them a study guide.  I think the minute papers would be a more interactive way of teaching them how to develop more conside methods of mastering material with use of the minute papers. 

classroom discussions are important to involve inattentive students to participate and engage with the rest of the class

This Course helps the teacher to be able to keep the students engaged in the classroom.

communication with the student, communication with parents, communication with coaches, fair but equal,  

As far as looking at students who look at their phones or tablets in class, I welcome it. So in teaching programming, I teach how to create an app on a mobile device like a phone or tablet. If students have phones, and it;s now part of their arsenal of technology, I incorporate it into the lesson. If you don't teach programming, there are many apps already created so you can have the students use the phones to enhance their education rather than as a distraction. Telling a student not to bring or use their mobile computing devices is like telling a math student not to bring in their calculators. Infact, there are better versinos of engineering and graphing calculator apps than the actual calculators themselves. Phones have faster processors and calcuations through a virtual app still run circles around the hardware utlized in most calculators. Don't look at edcuation as the old "Cells and Bells" ( an architectual term for designing schools) structure.  

Sign In to comment