Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Include all students to remain engaged.

This module provided helpful tips on engaging and managing inattentive students, blaming "others" students, and apple-polishing students effectively so that you can continue to manage your classroom. Building positive relationships with your students, setting clear expectations, and using proactive approaches to prevent disruptive behavior are essential for maintaining control of our classrooms. I liked the suggestion of standing beside the inattentive students without causing a scene and the one minute essays. 

Very informative-thank you!

i learned different ways to handle a challenging student. A effective way is to meet with the student after class to get an understanding on why they are acting a certain way. 

All this information is very helpful. I do have a student in one of my classrooms for each of this categories and I constantly  let them know how important they and what advancements they are making I also mention the WIIFM approach and that seems to work.as well. I do like the idea of the 5 color cards as well.

Just as in “real life” there are employees who are “apple polishers,” and “center stagers.” And of course, there are employees that turn in assignments late, don’t adhere to deadlines as well as those employees that are inattentive. This training identifies what exists in the workplace only in different terms. These types of personalities and well-established and anticipated traits should be part of the class/course introduction. To that end, a continuous emphasis on these disruptive characteristics requires emphasis at scheduled and unscheduled intervals during the course. Although the approaches cited to curtailing these behaviors are well-established, it is also necessary to have a heart-to-heart with the class and individuals that certain behavior is blatantly disrespectful to other classmates just as the same behavior would be disrespectful to coworkers. What is paramount is that students need to be reminded that while there are many ways for an instructor to apply creativity in class management, the instructor also has just as many ways to apply accountability when behavior is disruptive to other students whose educational goals are being compromised by selfish behavior. 

The "Use-It-Wisely" tactic is brilliant! I'll be sure to incorporate it into my class in the days to come. For younger teachers, I recommend that you do not let age get the better hold of you. It is easy for students to want to see you as their peer rather than a figure of authority. In the event that student's begin to cross the line, I will pull them aside and talk to them personally. Never talk to a student in front of a class for this is likely to embarrass them.

Generally, in this area it sounds like adult learners do not differ much from middle school. I will simply employ the tactics in my toolbox already like circulating, moving closer to the disruptive students and employing whatever works with the center of attention grabbers. 

I've learned to make sure the student has a clear understanding of the expectations of the class. Also to acknowledge the positive and much as the negative 

I like the use it wisely idea. I also like the idea of valuing my own expectations by talking to students who are not prepared for class. 

From this module, I have learned about how to apply different strategies to manage the various personalities that I am likely to encounter in the classroom.

I have students at every end of this. Cell phones are a huge deal. It takes away from the lesson and work time. I always do a class remind then take them if necessary. I do have students who just wont participate no matter what gets done. I like to keep students near me, sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't. I will take the lessons in this module and move forward.

It is important to meet with a struggling student. It is important to handle not so focused students with tender loving care. 

I find the methods given to reel in inattentive students invaluable and can't wait to implement them. I also love the one-minute report and will definitely begin using this tool immediately. 

"All ambiguous behavior is interpreted as negative." I don't like this, but I can see how true it is! It's so hard to be ON all the time. It's disappointing that any little slip-up can have real negative impacts on student relations. 

I constantly deal with students who are on their phones, ipads and computers. this is one of the biggest challenges that I face. What helps me with this is giving them Rubric grading assignments, which are hands on assignments that basicly keep them more grounded in the class.

Active learning strategies should be implemented. Get your students involved in making decisions and avoid immediately giving them your solutions. Ask questions leading them to think on their own and celebrate with them when their choices work out and hold them accountable when they make mistakes providing a constructive feedback. 

I actually sort of like the "observer" concept.  It will make all student take notes because they don't know when they'll be called on.

I learned some techniques on how to keep students engaged such as note cards and asking probing questions.  Other techniques to keep them interested include inviting speakers and even offering virutal tours. 

How to manage students better.

Sign In to comment