Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Challenging students are worth the effort.  Everyone deserves a viable and comfortable learning experience.

Keeping all students engaged and ideas to help bring them back...

Harry Dumas

Fins it very interested on how to deal with these type of students 

When dealing with unfocused students it is important to first look at how you are handling the situation. You may find that you have not made your course policies and requirements clear or that you have not been specific in what your expectations are for student performance. Also, include all of the students in discussions and activities. It is easy to let the center stage student take over so you need to make a concerted effort not to overlook the quieter students.

I learned that students should be acknoledged at all levels to underscore their mental status and keep them engaged. When one has adult learners though, I am not certain that color coded cards are what is needed. They would probably throw them in the trash. 

very informative to involve and engage all different personalities. 

Overall, it was an informative session and I learnt various ways on how to deal with inattentive students, students who feel overwhelmed and are ready to quit, student who would blame others or find excuses for their unfinished tasks. 

I have had some students that were trying very hard at running the class and some were more difficult to get under control. It takes thought on the instructor to not allow that person to run the class without causing a situation. 

All ambiguous behavior is interpreted negatively. Make sure students feel valued and respected.

Using colored cards is a great way to limit over talkers.

Students who are inattentive in class are generally those students who typically lack understanding of the course requirements. As an instructor, reevaluate my approach, tone, and expectations. 

Students may often disengage when they feel lost or like they aren't understanding.  This also happens when a student doesn't see the relevance of the information, or thinks it's not important.  I like to simply ask the students, "why do you think this information is important for you to know?".  This gives them a chance to reflect and identify the value of the information.

I like the idea of walking around the class during lecture to keep student's attention on me and what I am saying while I observe their behavior to make sure it is appropriate for class. Calling on students who are less vocal/verbal to answer questions keeps them engaged and on their toes. I also like the idea of calling names out of a hat or from the attendance roll for students to stay prepared to answer questions. 

Sitting down and having a safe and open conversation with a student can teach you a lot about what is going on.  I had a student tell me how her husband got shot and is paralized at home.  And I had NO idea  and it happened months ago.  It was such a eye opening conversation.  She was working full time and trying to take care of him and go to school full time. With two kids. I have many more stories from talking to students. 

I tend to walk right next to the inattentive students and make it known that I want to hear what great ideas they have that could contribute to the whole group. I also utilize small table talks that work well for collaboration. 

Sign In to comment