Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I like to make sure that I include all my students in discussion and group activities to keep them engaged. 

Different techniques are useful in dealing with inattentive and talkative students. 

It was interesting to see the different strategies on dealing with each type of student. I can picture each of these students as one of mine that was discussed. I will incorporate some of these strategies. 

I really enjoyed the minute summary suggestion. I often get through my material very quickly. I love my subject and sometimes get carried away. I think the minute summary would help to keep my students' attention and help solidify what they learned in lecture. 

This section went over the different types of students in class. It also gave strategies on how to work with them effectively. 

Very informative about different student personalities and managing each type. As the saying goes, "Different strokes for different folks."  Dividing the class into groups indeed has been a very effective strategy in managing students who are not engaged. I like the 5 colored cards; each student will have a fair share of participation time. 

Its good to know how to deal with Professional excuse giver

I find that it is best to understand the students that you serve before jumping to conclusions as to why they are being inattentive or noncompliant. Sometimes, if you can understand the student's issues, you can best adapt to help their success. I would tread lightly with this concept, because you do not want to be so lenient that you lose the concept of accountability.

Very good suggestions on how to handle the talkers.

Holding accountability is an important factor in student learning. It is important to teach the class as a whole, but also individually address different learning styles. Challenging students are a part of teaching so it's important for instructors to understand this, and get comfortable with challenging students and how to best serve them. 

I don't know if I necessarily agree with these tactics.  I think that students are smarter than you think and that they will figure out why you singled them out and gave them cards.  A better way is to work with them and ask others questions and get others involved.  This diffuses the situation and makes it easier to get everyone involved without singling out one individual with unusual treatment.  

Students being interactive keeps the students engaged and involved.

I have seen students inattentive, disruptive by using cell phones, or talking at the back of class room, I  usually look towards them and they may try to put away their devices; some also are testing boundaries; I think putting the standards and requirements needed in class and reinforcing the rules help them that they need to be accountable for their actions. The best strategy I do feel is the :Use-it wisely cards" which helps limit and boundaries.

Dealing with people who are not paying attention I have found out it is best just to walk over and stand by them. If their behavior continues then you can call them out or engage them in the conversation by asking them questions.

You're assuredly going to have a diverse classroom in the way different students interact. this module helped give ideas on how to deal with the different types of students.

I currently have a center stage student. I like the using-it-wisely idea.  I will definitely have to try it.  Walking around usually help my inattentive students. 

When addressing challenging students, I’ve learned that it’s best to address it right away by first assessing if it’s something with your instructional style that’s causing the issues. If not, then address each student individually and ask for their feedback about the course and then collaborate about how to make the course more engaging. 

Good suggestions on managing challenging students

I have learned that some students like to be the center of attention and ways to control their behaviors in class.

I think it's important to utilize creativity during lecture to incorporate all students. 

Sign In to comment