Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Dealing with Challenging Students | Origin: ED104

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Class Management Strategies--> Dealing with Challenging Students

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

Don't take challenging student behavior personally and try to understand what may be causing the behavior before reacting to it. Stay calm, set clear expectations, and address problems consistently. That can help prevent a difficult situation from becoming worse. I intend to apply this by focusing on the behavior rather than the student, communicating expectations clearly, and giving students an opportunity to correct their behavior. In a CTE classroom, I also think it is important to help students understand that workplace expectations apply to the classroom as well, especially when it comes to deadlines, communication, and taking responsibility for their work.

Asking students that are disconnected, if they have suggestions for making the class more interesting will be something I start doing. You are not going to change the behavior of center-stage students, you can only control it.

Setting order within the classroom. Also when dealing with different behaviors finding ways to help the student to stay engaged.

This section helped me understand that the challenging students may not understand or see the need for the content so they need to be redirected. 

There are creative ways in dealing with the attention seeking students. 

It is a given that in each classroom every student will have different learning styles, or not a clue. I feel it is important that instructors pay attention and take the student aside. We need to let the student know that we are concerned about grades. We can offer one on one tutoring, extra time on testing. 

I've learned really good techniques for each "type" of student to help me best address and teach the entire class without one person feeling more or less attention. Understanding the different students will make for a more productive class period. 

Students who are struggling with content or behavior may have a lack of understanding of material. It is important to find the root of the struggle; this can help identify where the student needs extra support. 

Students' behavior might be because they can't see a reason to learn the information.  The teacher needs to make sure they understand the relevancy and application in the student's life.  

I have learnt that using different styles of teaching with have students engaged in the class and do better

For this section, I learned the importance of accountability in the classroom as well as for assignment dates. I also learned that even in college courses, assigned seating may be utilized. I also would move the class seating assignments routinely as well as implement activities and ask challenging students questions afterwards. 

There were some good tidbits of information in this section. never thought about ambiguous behavior is always seen as negative.  There were several good tips about classroom management. 

I try to frequently engage my students and ask them how they are doing. I ask them about their highs and lows as it relates to what we are covering in class or the lab.

most challenging students just need help understanding new content, but some have personal stuff going on, that's why i always ask if things are ok and refer them to student services for help 

Impressions are everything; whether they are a 5 second interaction or 5 minutes, how you hold yourself and portray yourself outwards can leave either the wrong or right impression on someone. 

Try to treat all students equal, don't let a few students take over!

Dealing with challenging students requires a balance of clear boundaries, empathy, and professional composure. Addressing disruptive behavior privately prevents public power struggles and allows you to uncover underlying causes, such as academic frustration, anxiety, or personal stress. Establishing firm, transparent expectations from the start ensures consistent enforcement, keeping the focus entirely on specific behaviors rather than personal conflict. When issues persist, documenting recurring incidents and escalating them to institutional support protects both the learning environment and the integrity of the course.

I love the ideas of asking the student if they have any ideas that would help keep them more engaged with the material 

Many young adult students get very offended when they are "called out." It is a quick way to deal with the situation right then and there. However, this may create unnecessary resentment. It would be better to take the student aside and have them explain what can be done to improve the situation or instruction to keep their attention. 

Sign In to comment