Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I think it is always a challenge to deal with so many different personalities. but understanding the personailites will help with the dynamics of the class 

Especially in blended classes, having the students engage and be with video on is a debate

I really enjoyed the insight on the problem students most of us face in our careers. It sheds light on how to deal with and defuse many of the obstacles we face as instructors and how to remedy the situation. Considering, that every teacher will have many of these students throughout the years of teaching, I think this was most beneficial to read.

I really appreciated reading about the various types of "problem" students and the concrete examples of strategies that can be used for each type.  I think it will take a lot of increased awareness and intentional use of the strategies at first, until they become a natural part of my teaching repertoire.

Sometimes it is so hard to reachout to these students who seem like they could care less. I think we just need to relate it to something they like. For example, I teach food and nutrition, obviously my students are not all going to become chefs but they might play a sport where they need to focus on their nutrition. 

It is important to keep the students engage in the class. 

Invite guest speakers to the class, and include all students in all activities

Being a new instructor I am still learning the ways student can manipulate. If only they would use this energy for their studies. 

Dana Redmond

Instructors need to be attentive to students of different ages, and learning styles to focus on keeping everyone engaged. Making sure that you treat everyone fairly, especially when it comes to talk time in class, grading, and turning assignments in on time.

I found it useful to consider moving about the class to engage students who are not attentive to refocus.

I like the approach of speaking to the student after class however that is not always probable. I have found that creating group projects in class and statng that each person has an assigned role however that role must be rotated within the group so the speakerlleader/note taker is not always the same person. I found that this encourages the spot light students to assist their classmates and brings the quiter students out to the forefront. 

In this module we learned how to manage different types of students.  There will be many different types of students and as instructors it is our responsiblity to learn a way to work those students to ensure the entire class is benefiting with your learning.  

I learned the first step in dealing with unfocused students is to look at how you're handling the situation and evaluate if there are any changes you need to make as an instructor before automatically thinking it is the students that need to change. 

There were great strategies in the lessons. One strategy included dealing with students that love to be centerstage I learned from the strategies that were discussed one of which use it wisely cards would be beneficial to allow all of the students an opportunity to talk and involve themselves in the discussion this is a great opportunity to allow your students to talk and be involved but however in charge of the rest of the class is also contributing to the discussion

Challenig students needs attantion and i could learn differnt teahcing strategies to deal with them

My biggest issue is "class clowns" who wants everyone to laugh at and notice them. I find that if I don't have assignments that last the entire class, students get more rambuncious. 

I have experienced all of these challenging behaviors in the classroom. Having a plan of action to address different issues while respecting the student is important. I love to use classroom engagement activities and discussions to keep students present.

I always have a attention seeker I like the color card idea as a way of controlling the students and making sure others ask questions

There are several strategies to deal effectively with challenging students. Inattatentive students may become motivated by your close physical presence or the knowledge that they may be asked questions at any time. Ready-to-quit students can benefit greatly from encouragement or from guest speakers who have overcome similar challenges as students. Apple polishers can be kept in check by using firm policies and applying rules fairly and equally. Center-stage students can be managed with the use of personal meetings to explain the need for others to participate or the use of comment/question rationing cards.

There are many different types of students in each class. With that, each student behavior needs to be handled according to their own needs. 

Sign In to comment