Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I like the use it wisely card approach. over the years, i have had students who monopolize the class. i have usually been successful in having them hold on to their thoughts and give classmates a chance, while thanking them for being so engaged! i also tend to do a lot of small group discussins and projects to move students around, get them thinking and not drifting away from the content. I like to know the student's names and call on them directly to answer questins. In the computer classroom, I request monitors to be turned off to decrease distration  by the student and those around them.

I learned that people are people and that many of the approaches used for younger sstudents can work with older ones, but need to be modified for the adult leaner. I would love to see the Harvard Business School videos in their entirety. They seem to stop just as they get interesting....

I like the concept of summarizing and random calling  to present their summary to get students to be more attentive and prepare.

Taking the time to understand where the behavior is coming from? is a need for attention or a distraction from something else?

It's a great idea to have the Blue Cards and the Observer, which serves purposes of Center Stage students as well as the inattentive student.

The module gave so much information about the types of students that I will encounter over my teaching career.  I found many descriptions along with solutions and techniques to be very helpful.  The use of the course syllabus seems like a great place to start with listing goals and expectations.  The expectations will set the stage for what you want from the students and what you plan on giving back.

Good ideas about channeling the Center Stager.....

It was good to know I was on the right track with students disengaged and wanting to give up can be remotivated and inspired to finish the course. I will try using the five-colored card with my most active student because I was having a hard time controlling that kind of behavior without hampering that person's class participation. 

I really needed to learn this information on managing challenging behavior of students.  I have a hard time managing some of the behavior in classes.  I learned how to manage students who are inattentive by calling on them more or making them responsible for after a lecture by using a minute paper.  What a good way for students to summarize what they learned and also provide motivation for them to learn and pay attention.  I have had an occasional student who misbehaved during class and I had a little difficulty with dealing with this issue.  I know that first I have to check myself first.  Am I offering content that is not interesting or relevant?  And then, I can always approach these students to understand what they are dealing with and help prevent them from dropping out of the course.  Great information!

There are various faces to the students in each class: unprepared one, ready to quit, apple polishing, blamers, inattentive and center stage. Each type of student needsthe appropriate support and encouragement to help redirect and engage students in learning.

Having only been an instructor for a couple of months, this is the most relevant course to my situation Iv'e taken. THis knowlwge will come in very helpful with my next class of students.

Inattentive students has always been an issue when we taught in the classroom.  Now with online teaching I am finding the problem to be expediental.  This term since October, I have had the highest failure rate.  I think students are having a hard time managing their time and staying focused.  Any suggestions?

Student involvement is equal to student engagement.

the teaching techniques and methods used to control the class and behavior of individual students. ways to keep attention on the content you're delivering as well as handling innatentive or excesively talkative students.

This module was about the varioys student behaviors we encounter and strategies to use. I like the idea of walking around class although this is impossible for me since I taach 4 campuses and once and have to sit right in front of the computer monitor the whole class. 

I really liked the module on the students who want to be the center of attention. Some good steps that could be taken to curb the students that just cannot control their urges to speak or goof off in class. I like the way each method attempts to bring the student back to abiding by the guidelines or expectations set at the beginning of the lesson by the teacher. 

I loved this one!! I learned that I need to walk around my classroom to encourage those students who are not paying attention. I will also be adding some group discussion. 

I appreciate different strategies for dealing with different personality types. 

The content for this module is so true. I have dealt with those students that think they are getting over on the new instructor. But, they forget that some of us have been around and can read individuals. I can tell when someone is sincere or just wanting something. I just smile and thank them for their kind words. 

Ask the student that are disrupting the class a question that you were discussing.

Sign In to comment