Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Comment on Shelley Freshman's post: I also use this method as an ice breaker. I go around the class and have everyone introduce themselves and give a little information about what they work and why they are back in school. I also introduce myself and provie some background information on my professional career.

I liked how it outlined to be explicit when explaining what you expect from the students and to be reminded to give examples.

Good communication so students understand your expectations of them in the classroom.

I think it's important to set clear boundaries and expectations from day one.  Students have to be willing to put in the time and effort if they are to succeed. Pushing our students to be studious and efficient, will help them be successful in the workplace.

I appreciated the information regarding the importance of the syllabus and the need to review it with the class at the start of the term. I have found this to be critically important and I highlight pertinent areas of the syllabus that students tend to question. This can help prevent problems later in the class. 

Having an icebreaker at the start of the class can engage students and get their attention. This also can alleviate fears. 

I learned about breaking the ice at the start of term, when they are their most nervous. Communicating to understand their individual styles of learning and making the syllabus more eye catching so the students remember there is a resource for most problems. 

Show empathy but establish clear guidelines at the start of term and stick to them

I think the biggest thing so for is more of "Group Competition" I plan to use this strategy to increase participation and learning. 

My Syllabus has always just been a one page for each semester, more of a outline. I will be working on spelling out more of what will be expected of the students.   

I liked the emphasis on the expectations we have of the students. I am having a lot of students who have only taken college courses online and they are not prepared for an in-person class. 

Start the class with an activity 

I learned the WIIFW model (What's In It For Me Model). And, I am an educational salesperson. 

I have learned that I need to be clear and concise with my students on certain things - such as due dates and my expectations of them - and ensure that they know all of the rules/deadlines/etc. to be successful in the course.

Great module!!! It shared the importance of sharing a syllabus with students on the first day of class.  It acts as a great reference for students as it relates to policies, requirements and the course.  

Good information to truly be engaged with your students, and also be approachable were they feel like they can ask you about anything they maybe struggling with.

I have learned that you can be an expert in delivery of information by your own professional experience and engaging students in the learning process. I learned that there is a lot of questions as to Why we learn something. Adult learners need to know why so they can address their reason behind learning certain subjects.  I learned there are 3 areas of learning as well, cognitive, social, and psychomotor. This was really helpful for me to learn as a new instructor

Do an ice breaker for students

I took away that it's very important to ensure your students understand what it will take to be successful in the course from day one. Also multiple reminders for assignment due dates in the course syllabus and in class to minimize late assignments.

Ive learned that expectations need to be set up at the beginning of the course. I need to obtain a better Late Assignment policy, bc it has been a problem for my students in the past. 

I also realize that I need to explain to the students the reason for all the information that I am teaching them. That way they will know "Whats In it For Me."

Sign In to comment