Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Students will have more interest in a class and want to perform better if they can see that the content is relevant and can be directly applied to the career for which they are studying. Once the students have personalized the class content instructors must make every effort to create accurate expectations as to how content will be delivered. Instructors must then introduce clear expectations as to how the students are to participate in class, produce and turn in assignments and projects, and what ever else it takes to pass the class. Instructors must be fair but firm with their policies.

I can remember going through high school and being eager to receive my syllabus so that I felt more comfortable with what I was expected to do throughout the course. It made me feel as though my teachers were organized and cared about the material they were teacher. 

The paper plane ice breaker is a great idea that I plan to use on my sophomores before class one day to help them understand a teamwork dynamic that could translate into a medical team in the field (since we are a health science class). 

Making sure from day one, letting the students know what is expected of them. Providing the syllabus , course calendar. Being available .

Through teaching the same course multiple times I have found that selling a class early and finding constant ways to connect to the "What is in it for me?" question keeps students engaged and believing in the coursework

I am seeing that I need to be more specific in my instructions and expectations.

During my college years I did enjoy how my instructors were organized, kept an open mind to working together, and having the students work in partners or in teams.  Having the students exchange information to be able to make that friendship, networking, or buddy system allowed to have students evolve from their isolated High school years.  Going into a career that sometimes working as a team benefits the company better than working alone.  As students become familiar and share their knowledge and experience with their fellow classmates they open up, they become confident, and they prepare to engage into the real-world work force. 

"Late or Missed Assignments" section added to syllabus with explanation of late/missed assignment policy. 20% deduction of points for each day assignment is late.

All the information will be useful in teaching the students.  Communicate with the students about late homework and due dates, being a good role model, telling the students what you expect from them...

Work as a team and set expectations and boundaries. 

I have learned the acronym WIIFM. Staying consistent and following the syllabus is key to success.

One of the hardest challenges I’ve experienced so far is finding a way to make the class purposeful for all students and keeping them engaged. I found found that group “think tanks” are the most beneficial way to keep the student engaged even if it’s just for 15 minutes a class. It not only facilitates collaboration but it opens that students mind to relevancy of content even when they did not see how the information would help them achieve their personal goals. 

Basically my objective is to represent the positive outcomes of the course and how exactly what the student will be learning will track with their future. I agree with clearly laying out the course objectives and deadlines, maybe crossing completed items off as they are done. i did like the idea of breaking the room down into groups and applying exercises to engage those students that are more introverted or disinterested. 

Presenting syllabi in multicolor text and paper to increase attention and retention are a great tool I picked up from this course. 

going over the expectations and the course syllabus at the beginning of the course is important and can be done in a way that incites energy and fun into the class

i find that i am using many of these ideas , but just need to tweek a bit.. 

Excellent and useful information.

Having a very colored syllabus with goals and deadlines marked. Go through the syllabus together with the students to avoid surprises about goals and expectations. Also, to see the students perspectives of the syllabus and course is very important. Another point is to have them working in groups or with peers, so they can feel support. 

Useful information about information to add to our Syllabi and how to get students more interactive in class. How to better explain expectations/requirements.

With many years of teaching experience till now, this module had increased my knowledge and awareness in the field of education.  I have learned that in order for me to become an "Instructional Delivery Expert," I have to examine myself first as an instructor.  I have to ask myself, "Am I a SME (Subject Matter Expert) and/or IDE (Instructional Deliver Expert)? By asking this question, I myself will be motivated to expand my knowledge or horizon in the field of teaching.  This module had given me some tips and ideas on how to lead and conduct my class so that my students will get the best education possible that they badly needed.

I have learned how to incorporate what I have learned by being available for my students. I know that dedication is key. Keep students engaged, sell the course. I know I would not buy into anything if the representative does not believe in what they are selling. Transparency also plays a part in building trust. 

Sign In to comment