Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The college scenarios aren't really going to be something I can do as I do not have time between my classes to debrief. I can think things over at a later time and work out issues, but it may be delayed.

Make sure your expectations are clear and written down. 

Establishing firm standards for assignment due dates and clear expectations for participation are essential to the success of the class. Students should be reminded of the difference between classes they took in high school and the greater level of responsibility and performance expected in a post-secondary educational program.

My experience with the module setting the stage video is informative in improving my skills on syllabus purpose, teacher expectations, and student guide. The student are informed goals, expectations, and clear understanding of what is due, when, and how to complete assignments.

there are tools and tricks to use in order to ensure students know the expectations for the class and to engage them in their interest in learning. 

Make sure the syllabus includes deadlines as well as what my expectations are.  Always start with an ice breaker to get everyone working together.  If all objectives are covered there is no room for excuses.  It will also help ease their nerves to know how they will be graded and what they will be graded on.  

I believe I can do a better job with grabbing my students attention with things they are finding " boring". This can be difficult ,especially at the high school level. I heard some tips and strategies on how to do that.

I really appreciated the information regarding late assignments. This is something that can get stick especially since every students situation is different. I like the example that was given because of the specifics. Students have one week from the assigned date to submit and there will be a 20% deduction per day that it is late. This allows the students to now ask me question regarding whether or not it will be accepted but also keeps them accountable for the penalty. 

Icebreakers are always a great way for both students and the instructor to get to know a little about each other and begin developing those relationships.  Making sure the students know "WIIFM" is definitely an important way to gage their level of interest and hopefully increase it.  We have a standard policy in place for late assignments but it is important to draw student attention to each at the beginning of each new course as both a reminder to the student and to make the student aware that it will be followed and enforced.

It is always good to have an 'ice breaker ' for the first meeting, letting the participants engage in the conversation, letting them relax and actively participate. It is very important to provide the course syllabus and expectations.

The ice breaker is an important tool in getting to know the students, and the students getting to know you. Explaining the syllabus on day one will set the stage for a successful classroom experience and the student's understanding of the course requirements & expectations.

Introductions are vital to the start of any well-organized and effective class.  Know your students, show them "what's in it for them" in this class, and ensure they are well aware of expectations as well.

I have learned that at the beginning of a  course the students want to understand what they will expect to have to do to suceed in the class. The need to have the details laid out before them. They need to have a syllabus that is easy to read with the key elements made bold and colorful. They need to have a calendar with all the due dates of assignments visible. This will take away many excuses they may try about not knowing. It will help to ease student anxiety about a course if they have ample time to ask questions about the expectations and requirements of a course before starting in on the information. 

In this first module "Setting the Stage for Success," I've learned effective ways to set clear expectations, to structure my class sessions, and manage assignments. The second part of the question was how do I intend to apply these strategies? And the fact is that I'm applying all of these strategies already. I don't mean to say that these are easy, or common sense, because it took me awhile to figure them out on my own, but these are all techniques that I have been applying in the classroom daily for at least the last six years or so, and I learned them by trial and error.

Nonetheless, they are effective strategies that I will continue to apply. I call them my "what, where, why rules." Meaning at the beginning of the module, with each new topic, and at the start of class every day, I strive to succinctly make sure the students know a concise summary of WHAT we are learning today/this topic/this module. WHERE are we trying to get by the end of the class/subject/module (managing expectations), and WHY is this should matter to them (the WIIFM rule they talked about).

This is great stuff. I have never heard it codified, it's just been a part of my self-taught teaching tool belt. But it's very nice to hear that what I've been doing is what is also recommended. Thank you! :)

I liked how it explained that setting expectations up front can help students to feel more comfortable with the course they are taking since they know what to expect.

I will try and use ice breakers for the first of class. Late home work is always a challenge depending on the situation.

As in my experience as an instructor my main focus at the start of the course is to allow my students to open up. By doing so they become more receptive on the information they learn and at the same time build a mutual trust between the instructor and student. I do struggle with deadlines so I plan to be a little more clear on my expectations.

It is important to set up due dates and late assignments. 

Being always accessible, keeping the lines of communication open, and building trust with your students are always helpful tools to make the class successful.

Very informative. I have incorporated al lot of these strategies  into my daily class time.  Some I like like the pareer write down what worked or did not. 

Sign In to comment