Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I love the icebreaker activity where the students have to communicate and collaborate. They students are asked to talk about their professional interests, goals for the course, or personal interests. 

Always make sure that my classroom expectations are clear and give reminders of due dates throughout the course.

I learned that most students say they miss submitting assignments because they were unaware of the due date.  Thus, putting the assignment dates/times in the syllabus is a good way to have students be reminded of deadlines and to refer back at different times to stay organized and up to date with submission requirements. 

As a returning teacher (out of education for almost 20 years) it is a good reminder to engage the students and tailor the instruction to their preferred methods of learning.  Additionally, the idea of addressing the 3 functions of cognitive, social, and psychomotor is a good way to engage each of the students strengths while building a group atmosphere.

You must know your content and your students to have a successful class.

What to do at the beginning of each class that I teach.

One thing I learned was with a syllabus using different colored paper, boxes around key points and different font types keeps the students visual interest. Also about ice breakers and the importance of using ice breakers at the start of a new class. It helps to get the students talking with each other and working together. I learned the importance of when a student is talking help build on what they said and make them feel intelligent. 

Set your expectations and hold students accountable!

Let students know what the expectations are for the class and stand on the rules without bending. Students must know where the lines are and what happens when goals and requirements are not met.

The acceptance of late work (unless Justifiable) I feel sets the standard lower than necessary

I learned that it is important to get to know your students. And it is important to for the students to get to know one another. It is also important for the students to feel that their teacher cares about them.

I like the concept of the reflection on each lesson taught. What was expected versus what actually happened. 

Great session. Keeping the students engaged throughout the class by various activities and allowing them to share their own experiences will enhance their learning experience. Setting deadlines on assignment submissions will help the students be on track. 

I go over the syllabus the first day of class as well as having the student introduce themselves to the instructor and to the rest of the class. I also try and make the class fun, with the understanding that the rules need to be followed.

Students need a reason to learn and they are motivated by personalizing content to career goals. Keep open lines of communication and set the expectations.

It is important to engage adult learners early and often. They like pertinent material to their specific trade.

Set standards for missed assignments. Note that a 10% variable of missed assignments, however, will not always be from the same students. 

Ive learned that clarity is the key so outlining the rules and expectations clearly in the syllabus plus going over it with them is the key.

It's very important that students know what to expect from a class before it starts.  This is where your syllabus comes in handy.  I want to make sure that each student understands the different types of assignments, my expectations, and can share any concerns they might have.

Sign In to comment